The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Iver Johnson 410 single shot with the #86715A stamp behind the trigger guard. I would like to find out how old it might be and it's worth if possible. It is in excellent condition and has been passed down for a least 3 or 4 generations. Thanks for any help anyone could give me.
George

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
iver johnson single barrel serial numbers
Posted by: b.goforth (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2009 10:36AM

during the 1940's and 1950's iver johnson used letters only in the serial numbers on their single barrel Champion shotguns. there have been several posts here and on other forums as to what these letters mean. thanks to the help of a former employee of iver johnson mr. ray chatigny i now have the key to these letters. mr. chatigny started at iver johnson in 1954 and worked there until 1961 when he moved to Harrington & Richardson. he stayed with H&R until his retirement in 2004. mr. chatigny has informed me that when he first started at iver johnson one of his jobs was to serial numbering champion single barrel shotguns (by hand stamping these letters). the key to the letters seems to be the word FITCHBURG and until some factory documentation comes along to prove otherwise i am going to have to believe what he says is truthful. everyone of the shotguns with the letters only serial number i have recorded in my research also seems to verify the key word FITCHBURG was used along with X=0. here is the key;
F=1
I=2
T=3
C=4
H=5
B=6
U=7
R=8
G=9
X=0

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
In this case I believe your shotgun is Pre WWII, Value for single barrel shotguns are not high, they are used primarily as a utility tool or a working shotgun. The 410 gauge does bring a slight premium. With out pictures it would be difficult to ascertain any positive value. but one in 90 to 95 percent, should bring 125 to 150. If someone has more up to date info on the current values, please chime in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.