.44 Desert Eagle

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by CD Woods, May 11, 2009.

1. CD Woods

CD Woods New Member

I'm seriously looking at picking up a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle Automatic. :cool: I have not heard anything good or bad about these monsters, but really think one of these would be great in my collection. :D I do not like the scopes, lasers and such, so I'm looking at just a normal pistol. Any issues or problems with these?

2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have the 50 AE but it is basicly the same gun. Every now and then I have a feed problem which I attribute to limp wristing. With the .50 that is pretty hard not to. Has a hell of a kick. Also it is a bit heavy. Not for carry for sure. You may have the problem at the range of many curious onlookers wanting to ask about it or to "Hode it" Can I hode it Huh/huh?:D;)

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The later version (maybe only available in California???) has a firing pin safety that assures the firing pin cannot travel forward unless the trigger is pulled. It is an add on feature not on the originals. It is failure prone. I fixed a friends by removing that safety feature for him. The gun was safe enough for decades until California required extra precautions to make their "for sale in California safety list for handguns". The added safety is poorly designed and poorly implemented and unnecessary, in my opinon, and the gun is better off without it.

My friend now loves the gun since it became reliable. The guns are convertible in their latest form and he has both the 44 Mag and 50 cal parts for it.

LDBennett

4. Jimdo

Jimdo New Member

I've got a .50 AE Collectors Edition, I love it for a collectible gun.... for a shooter, (even though I haven't shot this particular one) the Desert Eagle isn't my first and foremost choice.
    Hard for a small pawed guy to hold onto, lots o' recoil, heavy, etc.
    Maybe if your a badass Israeli Commando than its the right gun for you to shoot, unfortunately, I'm not a badass Israeli Commando.

5. OBrien

OBrien New Member

I don't know about your neck of the woods but .44 mag is one of the only calibers I can find ammo for. If I had the money I would get one but there are to many other choices for me. lol