The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,I have a henry 44 and a taurus 44,6.5 barrel.I have been using 15gr blue dot with 240xtp in the taurus works fine. but when i put it through my henry i have to raise the rear sight almost all the way up.any feed back would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
How does the Henry shoot with factory ammo? Has anyone else shot your Henry? Results? Mebbe it just shoots higher...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well let me back up a little,I had to send the henry back because it was real hard to cock and i had cases brake,They put on a new barrel on and gave me a gun case and the large cocking lever no charge .It shoot low with the 15 gr blue dot.I cant find recipes for the henry.I have 2 lbs of blue dot so i want to use it up Thanks

·
Super Moderator
44,787 Posts
I don't know about your Henry rifle but I can tell you about my Ruger Carbine. I didn't have problems with it shooting low but I did have problems with my mid range loads NOT being able to cycle the action. I had to load my .44's a little bit hotter to cycle the carbine and it was still OK in the Redhawk. I am not saying that would solve your problem but it would be worth a try. The Lyman #49 manual shows me that the Max load for Blue Dot powder is 16 grains with the 240 grain bullet. You say you are using 15 grains, bump your loads up to 15.5 or maybe even 16 to see if that makes a difference. Just be sure to look for signs of over pressure when you do. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alliant's web site lists 13.7 grains as maximum for the 240 grain Speer GDHP. I don't know if that would apply to ALL 240 grain jacketed bullets, or just to the Speer GDHP.

The older Speer reloading manual had a separate section for .44 Mag rifle. As I recall, it could take hotter loads. You might be able to find a modern manual that has a separate rifle section.

Good luck. Please let us know how things turn out for you.

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
Try backing up to a 180gr bullet with the blue dot. You simply are not shooting full magnum loads with the blue dot. I don't know what your bullet speed is right now, probably somewhere around 1250fps, but if you move to W296, or H110, you will get full magnum loads that will crono at around 1450fps. At 1250fps a 240 gr bullet will shoot thru a deer. It's about all you really need for most aplications, and it don't have the recoil of a full magnum load. I use 15grs of AA #7 behind a 240gr cast lead bullet for plinking, but go to the W296 for full magnum loads. I shoot both the pistol, and rifle.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I have used about 15.0-16.0 gr. Blue Dot under 240 gr. LRN bullets, in my Puma, Ruger SBH, 629. and Dan Wesson...

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you are printing low then a hotter load will not help. A slower load will bring the point of impact up, or a heavier bullet. You might try a few 300 gr. loads and you also might try a reduced power load with the 240 grainer.

·
Registered
745 Posts
it could be just the diff in sights,, does it do the same thing with factory ammy ??
or possible the diff in the bore of the barrel,, have u slugged them to see if they are diff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts