The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's, I scored some 44 mag ammo. I did a trade with a guy that had 150 44mag rounds and he trade me for 250 9mm rounds that I had. He lived in Alaska and has 50 of these that he said are solid brass bullets for Bear. The complete round weigh's in at 430g. Any Idea what they are?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I forget who makes them but they are called a monolithic solid. When you take a small arm into bear country you need it to be able to penetrate nasal to anus if necessary. So bullet manufacturers offer Monolithic solids for the task. They can hard cast lead or in this case solid brass or copper. You could likely set up a dozen drums filled with water and set them side by side and shoot thru them all lengthwise. and Id bet the bullet would make it thru most of them if not all of them.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Yep, you could use those on bear, and buffalo and prolly even a Mac truck...

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
Are they factory? 'Cause if not, there ain't no way I'd shoot 'em. Aside from the "I don't shoot other people's reloads" thing, there's the "I got these solid bullets to load 'bear medicine' rounds. I need to make 'em really POWERFUL" thing.

Reactions: Kody24 and mikld

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Alpos got a point. They could be stuffed with 24 or 25 grains of bullseye because the loader wanted them to be really accurate too.

Reactions: Kody24

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
i think i'd pull em and recharge them.

a buddy i shoot with now and then found his wives, ex's old hand load kit and bag of 3006 brass and an old can of 4064 and made up about 50 round sand brought them to the range.

he doesn't shoot 3006 but had the brass... made em for me.

I smiled and put them aside and said I needed to shoot my own for ladder testing first.

if he insists i shoot his.. I'll do the same. I'll pull em and rechanrge.. after checking one for resizing..e tc. I used to shoot with the 'ex' years ago before he passed away.. he had a boltgun.. and that's where the brass came from...

·
Registered
840 Posts
I was recently given a new box of Winchester Razorback Xt, 44 mag, 225 gn Wild Boar rounds. The bullets are lead free and I think solid copper with a huge beveled hollow point. The cases are nickle plated. Haven't tried any yet. Wonder if they might be the same as the op's.

·
Garandaholic
9,520 Posts
I forget who makes them but they are called a monolithic solid. When you take a small arm into bear country you need it to be able to penetrate nasal to anus if necessary. So bullet manufacturers offer Monolithic solids for the task. They can hard cast lead or in this case solid brass or copper. You could likely set up a dozen drums filled with water and set them side by side and shoot thru them all lengthwise. and Id bet the bullet would make it thru most of them if not all of them.
Nasal to anus penetration.

That really paints a picture.

Could that be the sentence for the Marathon Bomber?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guy's, I scored some 44 mag ammo. I did a trade with a guy that had 150 44mag rounds and he trade me for 250 9mm rounds that I had. He lived in Alaska and has 50 of these that he said are solid brass bullets for Bear. The complete round weigh's in at 430g. Any Idea what they are?
Work on wood. If you still have those 50 each 44 mag solid brass bullets I would be interested in purchasing them. I have some that were produced in Anchorage years ago but the vendor died.

·
Super Moderator
41,407 Posts
AK, welcome to TFF, you opened a 5 year old thread. Also offers to buy and sell are not allowed in the open forums, we have a buy/sell/trade forum for that after one reaches the minimum number of posts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.