The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a new Henry lever action in 44 mag. The rear sight is set on lowest setting but at 50 yards, he is still shooting about 6-8 inches too high on paper with 44 magnums in semi wadcutters (240 gr). Jacketed soft point (240 gr) hit right on target but rear sight also has to be on lowest rear sight setting.

Both rounds seem fine in his revolver but thats obviously at much closer range.

Of course before he bought it, I talked him into reloading using cast lead. I helped him reload 44 semi-wadcutters with bullseye (not best but all I had). The reloaded ammo shoots same as the factory semi-wadcutters.

He is in the middle of reporting the issue to Henry... But I still want to know why semi-wadcutters would have a higher trajectory compared to softpoint.

Also, is there anything that can be done from a reloading perspective to get the round to drop faster? Longer OAL? Different powder? I am still new to reloading but learning as fast as I can.
cheers!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Change front sight blade. They put a short one on at the factory. It needs to be about .500" tall if not a bit taller. I bet they got something around .300" or so on it.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
When I bought my Marlin lever rifle in .44 mag, it shot high also. I called Marlin, and they sent me a new rear sight ramp. Solved the problem, no cost to me, and fast service. Henery will do just as well, give them a call.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I if were mine I would have already upgraded the sights to XS Ghostring anyway. Excellent sights for a levergun

·
Registered
603 Posts
The reason the cast bullet load is printing high is because it's a lighter load. The "time in flight" down the barrel is allowing the muzzle to rise more than the factory stuff before it exits the barrel. A faster load will print lower at 50, as will a lighter bullet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason the cast bullet load is printing high is because it's a lighter load. The "time in flight" down the barrel is allowing the muzzle to rise more than the factory stuff before it exits the barrel. A faster load will print lower at 50, as will a lighter bullet.
Not sure I understand the logic there, but I am in no position to question advice. ;)
I have lots of room on the top end to up the charge. I was going to help him make some for his revolver anyway. So, certainly worth trying to up the charge. thanks!

He is currently waiting for a response from Henry.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Hes right dj. Barrel time is exactly that.. the time the bullet spends in the barrel. With a slower round the recoil forces of the round have more time to determine where the muzzle is relative the bullets exit. Its a very technical aspect of shooting and only measured in nanoseconds. that muzzle isn't but a hundred thousandths of an inch or so higher when the bullet exits it, but it is higher and that's why your SWC ammo strikes higher. There is one fault to 410s assessment though, in that its actually heavier bullets that tend to strike higher, not lighter ones. Heavier bullets have less velocity, thus spend more time in the barrel, while at the same time generating more recoil force which causes the muzzle to be higher when the bullet exits giving you a higher POI. Lighter bullets have less recoil and higher velocity which gives them less barrel time and a lower POI on target

All that said, Your problem is still a short front sight. The rear sight really shouldn't be bottomed out at all. You need at least a notch or 2 to go low for shooting over angles in the field. And youll only get that by putting a higher front blade on it. which will bring your POI lower on target forcing you to raise the rear sight a notch or 2 to compensate. And voila, you've got your sights right where you want them..

Shooting can be a very scientifically confusing endeavor at times. But it remains fun no matter how complicated it gets.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Regarding the lighter bullet; I (mistakenly) assumed one would load a lighter bullet to higher velocities, thus they'd print lower. You are correct although the effect with a lighter bullet would be reduced, velocity being the same, simply due to Newton's Law.

Thanks for correcting me.

It would be interesting to know where those loads were at 100 yards though.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
+1, Yeppers, it's the load that make the difference...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts