The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me, in reloading terms, what is the difference between a
185 gn. jacketed and a 185 gn. XTP? In my Lee hand book they are separate
and the XTP calls for powder I don't have and with things the way they are I don't know if I can get any. I keep all the DOT's, titegroup, clay's, unique and the like.
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Can anyone tell me, in reloading terms, what is the difference between a
185 gn. jacketed and a 185 gn. XTP? In my Lee hand book they are separate
and the XTP calls for powder I don't have and with things the way they are I don't know if I can get any. I keep all the DOT's, titegroup, clay's, unique and the like.
Thanks, Steve
Unique will work and so will Bullseye if you have it. Here is a link discussing Blue Dot if you prefer that.

Oops, cant get link to work, look up 44 spcl loads at Guns and Ammo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Grump, but the question is what is the diff. between a XTP and JHP of the same weight? And why would XTP call for certain brands and "jacketed bullet" of the same weight have such a wide variety pf powders. Just tring to learn.

·
Registered
954 Posts
There probably is very little if any difference in an XTP from most other JHP. The information in the Lee handbook is a compilation of others' work. As I understand it Lee does no testing themselves. If you have a listing in Lee full of powders that you don't use, they probably gleaned their information for the XTP from Hornady themselves. As a general rule I don't use most of the powders that Hornady tests their XTP's with.

A very good source of reloading information can be had in the Lymans' 49th edition manual. Under .44 special they list loads for a 200 grain JHP, and if you look to see which one they used, it is the Hornady XTP.

Edit- Whup, just looked and Lyman doesn't list any info for the 185 grain JHP, but they do have info for the 180 grain JHC.
My older Hornady manual (7th edition) doesn't list a 185 grain XTP, but they do have 180 grain. I do see loads in my edition for unique with that weight bullet. Are you certain it's 185 grains?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I use the data in the book for 185gr bullets, and it doesn't matter to me what make, or configuration it is. You can get away with this in pistol rounds, but not so much with rifle rounds. Hornady doesn't list a 185gr bullet, the closest is a 180gr bullet. If I had some 185gr bullets, which I don't, I would use the 180gr bullet load, and make it a mild load. In the future, check your manuals, decide on the load you want, buy that bullet, and you have the information that you need. I don't buy anything for .44spcl/.44mag. other than 240gr bullets. These are always what work best in this caliber. Hornady lists the Clays Universal, and the Unique. Clays says max load for a 180gr bullet is 7.7. I would back that down to 7.3. Unique says that max load for a 180gr bullet will be 7.5gr., so I would back that down to 7.0.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone,

My mistake, they are 180 gn. I don't know where I got the 5 from.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Bullets of the same weight but one having a hollow point are different. The hollow point will be a little taller than the non hollowpoint. Since they are the same weight, the weight taken away for the hollow point has to go somewhere, thus making it taller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts