The Firearms Forum banner

45/70 Contender

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  RimfireRat 
G
#1 ·
Drawn
(7/22/02 10:11:31 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All 45/70 Contender
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm polishing up some 45/70 brass for my contender and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

Thanks Drawn

the real fredneck
V.I.P. Member
(7/25/02 9:31:31 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: 45/70 Contender
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
little unclear on your question Drawn, do you want info on polishing? or pet loads for 45/70? or how big an ol' boy are you? 45/70 in a handgun could be hard to hang on to

rayra
V.I.P. Member
(7/25/02 3:05:14 pm)
Advice? don't shoot yourself with that no-sear-stop / no half-cock TC.

Almost put a .44 round in my foot one time, shooting a friend's TC - bringing the piece up in a dueling pose, cocking the hammer as I raised the piece, thumb slipped off, >BOOM<. Cut to scene of my standing their numbly looking at the whole in the ground 3" from my right toes.

and WORSE -
my friends piece came to him with 3 barrels - .22LR, .44mag, and .223 fitted with a scope. The scope had short rings on it, and the previous owner had installed this clamp on hammer extender thing that projected to the left of the hammer, so the piece could be cocked.
My friend left this piece in place when switching barrels / calibers.
He was on a hunt with a cross-draw chest holster, .44mag installed, came up to a ridge, drew a bead, target went over the ridgeline. He holstered the piece, or tried to - the hammer projection got caught up in his shirt. He wasn't paying too much attention, was scrambling up the hill, wiggled the piece and shove it into the holster. What he did was partially cock the weapon, and when he freed it / forced it into the holster, the hammer dropped on the .44 JHP. Round went off, blew through the leather bottom of the holster, and three large fragments entered his upper left thigh.
Fortunately, he was out with two tohers, one of which was his Army Medic brother, who put a tourniquet on his leg while the other guy ran like hell to the nearest forest ranger station.
The helicoptered him out.
He's fine now, has a large crow's foot -looking puckered scar on his upper left thigh / groin area, doesn't own that TC anymore

So what kind of advice were you looking for?

kdub01
*TFF Senior Staff*
(7/25/02 6:37:43 pm)
The T/C Contender is a pretty light firearm, either in the handgun configuration or the carbine. I know, I've got several. Have NEVER had any sort of accidental discharge with any of them and think they are fine pieces of craftsmanship.

Had a .35 Remington chambered 14" bbl with a 2.25" muzzle brake attached to make it legal as a shoulder weapon. Now, that thing had a BIG bark and was certainly a handful to shoot. A 45-70 in either a 14" handgun bbl or a 22" carbine bbl is equally gonna get your attention - even if shooting "trapdoor" loadings!

If it were me, whatever the bbl length is, I'd settle for some minimum loads shooting the 300 gr jacketed or cast bullets and be satisfied. Nothing over 1600 fps, or you might be wearing the T/C instead of hunting with it!
"Keep Off The Ridgeline"

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Good price on the TC. ---- Reply to post by "rayra
V.I.P. Member
(7/25/02 3:05:14 pm)
Advice? don't shoot yourself with that no-sear-stop / no half-cock TC.

Almost put a .44 round in my foot one time, shooting a friend's TC - bringing the piece up in a dueling pose, cocking the hammer as I raised the piece, thumb slipped off, >BOOM<. Cut to scene of my standing their numbly looking at the whole in the ground 3" from my right toes.

and WORSE -
my friends piece came to him with 3 barrels - .22LR, .44mag, and .223 fitted with a scope. The scope had short rings on it, and the previous owner had installed this clamp on hammer extender thing that projected to the left of the hammer, so the piece could be cocked.
My friend left this piece in place when switching barrels / calibers.
He was on a hunt with a cross-draw chest holster, .44mag installed, came up to a ridge, drew a bead, target went over the ridgeline. He holstered the piece, or tried to - the hammer projection got caught up in his shirt. He wasn't paying too much attention, was scrambling up the hill, wiggled the piece and shove it into the holster. What he did was partially cock the weapon, and when he freed it / forced it into the holster, the hammer dropped on the .44 JHP. Round went off, blew through the leather bottom of the holster, and three large fragments entered his upper left thigh.
Fortunately, he was out with two tohers, one of which was his Army Medic brother, who put a tourniquet on his leg while the other guy ran like hell to the nearest forest ranger station.
The helicoptered him out.
He's fine now, has a large crow's foot -looking puckered scar on his upper left thigh / groin area, doesn't own that TC anymore
My reply >***
I pulled one of mine out of the vault .i pulled the hammer half way or better and let it go and it never touched the firing pin,only if i had my finger on the trigger,in your dueling pose episode you must have had you finger in the trigger housing and the weight pulled you finger against the trigger. As to your friends story you nor anyone else were there so you have to take his word.I find my TCs very safe when handled as they should be.--Rat-- (and very accurate from the 22 thru the 35 Rem.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.