The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won a Henry .45-70 in a raffle.
I'm looking for suggested reloading info using H4198 powder and Barnes 300 grain TSX bulets also
325 grain Hornady FTX bullets.
I reload a bunch of other calibers but never the .45-70.
Thanks for your time.
Dorfman

·
Super Moderator
43,434 Posts
Welcome to TFF and congratulations on the winning of a fine rifle. The only thing I ever won in a raffle were two tickets to a Reba McEntire concert.

I have two single shot 45/70 rifles that I load for, one is a rolling block and the other is an H&R Handi Rifle. I use the Trapdoor loads in both of them for the lower pressure. I do load a 300 grain HP bullet over Accurate 5744 powder. I do not load any 325 grain bullets, but I do load a 350 grain Berry's bullet with either Varget or IMR 4195 (usually Varget). You need to check your manual or the Hodgdon website as soundguy mentioned for the powder weights.

Please note that if you are loading that 325 grain FTX bullet, you MUST trim your cases to 2.040 instead of the normal 2.095 1nches.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Welcome to TFF, Joe.

I don't have a clue as to your shooting experience or just what you intend to use your .45-70 for. Just for grins-and-giggles, try a few factory .45-70s and see what you think of them. You said you already reload. That's good. The .45-70 can be a lot of fun to shoot and reload for. Depends a lot on what powder you have - what you intend to use your new rifle for - a whole lot of variables. Also, do you cast your own bullets? If you do it will make your rifle much more practical. Those factory bullets you mentioned have a lot of promise, but they are pricey for plinking. A whole lot of really big critters have fallen to that caliber with lead bullets....

·
Super Moderator
43,434 Posts
I loaded some in a .45 Colt one time, didn't pay any attention to the manual when it said you had to trim the case shorter. You want to talk about a cluster - , when I tried them in a single action pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Also, do you cast your own bullets? If you do it will make your rifle much more practical. Those factory bullets you mentioned have a lot of promise, but they are pricey for plinking. A whole lot of really big critters have fallen to that caliber with lead bullets..
+1. IMHO the 45-70 comes into its own with big, flatnose cast bullets at trapdoor velocities. My personal favorite is a 405 grain flatnose bullet (air cooled wheel weights) at a bit over 1300 fps. My two cents.

Edit: Forgot. Welcome to TFF. Think you'll like it here.

·
Premium Member
15,067 Posts
Cast 420 grs., (from my 405 gr. Lyman mold), and up is where the ol' warhorse shines. Anything less is an also ran.

And another welcome to TFF! Great place, great folks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts