velosity 587-844 f.p.s:
AOL @ 1.243".

I am loading
230 gr JHP;
231 powder: not shown. but next fastest on burn chart is
SR-7625 : 4.4 gr. - 6.3 gr (max load); AOL @1.243"

So question is: with 231 Burning at #21 on list in book and SR-7625 being
# 23 in book,
Where do I start with my load? In the middle (5.2 gr 231 is my guess).
But being HP they should be shorter than the 1.275" that it shows for the TMJ. I already know they won't cycle in my magazines at 1.275. I'm down to 1.260 and they are starting to cycle better but need to be a little shorter. but do I need to watch the C.U.P ( cartridge under pressure)?
The more I push the bulet in the more C.U.P. I'm putting in the chamber , right?
Am I on the right track or am I missing something ?
Any insight would be appreciated.:bow:

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Never guess charge weights by burn rate. What specific bullet are you loading?

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
CUP is copper units pressure. your OAL should be around 1.245 give or take a few thousands.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
You can safely use the W231 charge weights listed for the 230gr TMJ for your 230gr JHP bullets.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
"Where do I start with my load? In the middle (5.2 gr 231 is my guess)."----

If you follow any/all advice from manuals and experienced loaders,
you will clearly see....
Start with the lightest load, and slowly work up.

If you are not familiar with the terms in reloading, you are not
ready to put any powder in any brass.

Please be safe.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never guess charge weights by burn rate. What specific bullet are you loading?
Wooleyworm
I am Loading 230 gr. JHP. with 231 Win. powder

Shooter you say I can use the formula for the 230 TMJ but what of the OAL? The 1.275" won't cycle in mags?i've started to load some (10) at 4.6 gr since its on the low side and I have taken the OAL to 1.260 where they are not sticking in mags.

Wooleyworm
when you say my OAL should be 1.245, I am ASSuming you are saying I should start with the 225 gr formula??

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Wooleyworm

Shooter you say I can use the formula for the 230 TMJ but what of the OAL? The 1.275" won't cycle in mags?i've started to load some (10) at 4.6 gr since its on the low side and I have taken the OAL to 1.260 where they are not sticking in mags.

Wooleyworm
when you say my OAL should be 1.245, I am ASSuming you are saying I should start with the 225 gr formula??

Which specific bullet, Hornady, Speer, Rainier?

Bullet design has more to do with the OAL, 5gns of weight difference isn't huge and min load data can usually be used to start load work-ups within a few grains difference of bullet weight so long as the general design of the bullet is the same.

·
Registered
530 Posts
COL is determined by YOUR gun. The COL in the manuals is the minimum COL the data applies to. Remember, the data ONLY applies to the gun used in testing and the EXACT lot numbers of the components used. Any variation, including a different lot number of powder, can lead to different results. Work up your loads safely.
You always start with the lightest load you can find and you should start with at least one inert (no powder or primer) round at the longest COL that fits your magazine and work down in COL until you get reliable feeding in your gun. Then load just a few and verify the COL is good at the range.
The reloader is responsible for themselves and must learn to determine the proper COL and crimp for their guns.
You can get an "indication" of the COL range that works for others, but your gun is not the same as anyone else's.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Wooleyworm

Wooleyworm
OAL is not manual specific, it is bullet and firearm specific. Make dummy rounds (no primer or powder) to find the Longest OAL that fits and feeds in YOUR firearm. Then, "start low and work up".

Maybe this will help.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=256

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
As an example, Hornady lists their XTP's at 1.230 and Speer lists their GoldDots at 1.200

Reference Hornady 7th ed and Speer #14

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wooley
I am using Montana Gold bullets. I moved everything back to start 4.4 gr on the 225 gr bullet. Didn't want to buy one yet , but am getting a poly this week. Better safe than otherwise. Thank you everyone for your comments and advise.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
dont use 225 gr data for a 230 gr bullet. you can however use 230 gr data for a 225 gr bullet. OAL is gun specific, find an OAL that works in your gun, regardless fo what the 'Guide' says, and start at a starting charge for that bullet weight and work up. Its that simple.. Reloading manuals are guides to keep you from blowing yourself up with the unknown, you use data that matches your selected components as closely as possible and always start at starting charge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts