The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to reload .45 acp useing W231 powder with 230 gr round nose plated bullets. They will be used in a full size government model Colt 1911.
I'm useing a Hornaday 3rd edition manual that I bought in 1986.
According to this book, it says the MAX load is 6.0 gr for 800 fps.
From what I've seen on some internet sites, I have to wonder if this is a SAFE load or if this is a realistic # before the lawyers calmed it down for liability reasons.
Sure would like to hear some feedback from you guys out there that have been down this road. THANKS!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The Hornady 7th edition says the max load for 230 gr. fmj-RN ENC is 5.4gr of win 231. Since you are using plated bullets it should be a little less. The Lyman 49th edition says the max win 231 load for 230 gr, TMJ is 5.8 gr.(849 fps).

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I would start at the listed MIN and work up from there for your gun. 6.0 is very Hot. You will probably find 5.2 - 5.4 grn will be where you get a good shooting load; do you load work up properly and please update us on your results.

Reactions: dbcooper

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ammo is like owning a Corvette,
It might do 200 miles per hour, but you won't have a licence or vehicle very long if you try and drive 200 MPH everywhere you go!

Down loading a little is fine.
Increased loads are hard on the firearm, hard on your hands and make shooting much less enjoyable (In my opinion).

If the firearm loads, shoots, and is accurate with 5 grains, or 5.5 grains, then why shoot 6 grains?

I've loaded a TON of ACP ammo over the years to get to this point in my life, so take it for what you paid for it...

G

·
It is not just lawyers. It is scientist that test. Manufacturing processes change ingredients change purity of ingredients changes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've found Speer to give pretty realistic velocity data. For 230 LRN (use for plated) they show 5.1-5.6 with the upper velocity of 831 fps. That is with an OAL of 1.27". Just start low and work up small batches until you get to the level of performance for which you are looking.

·
Super Moderator
41,421 Posts
Another old thread resurrected, most of these folks haven't been here in quite a while.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

·
Deer Stalker
6,238 Posts
I am relatively new to reloading but took advice of this bunch on this forum...I have 3 books and also use online load data direct from manufacturer of powders, crosse reference, then if its a new load, I start on the lower end, work up about 10 rounds in each to the upper end. Then test them. Sometimes hot loads are NOT accurate! Trust me on that one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.