The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decapped a bunch of 45 ACP brass. Some have been reloaded a couple of times. I'm noting some require some 'help' into my case gage guide. Do they need to just drop in? Some need a gentle push to varing degrees.
Is this a problem? Or can I trust the resizing die has done a proper job?
thanks for your time

·
Registered
337 Posts
Check the rims on the ones that need help. sometimes the rims get dinged in extraction and ejection. The body of the case is either sized or not. If they all went fully into the sizing die, the case body should be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They all go into the sizng die just fine....The ones that "need help" going into the case gage go in easier (most of the time) if I run them thru the die a second time....Need I worry? Or am I too hung up on the case gagae?
In the past I have run across loaded rounds that didnt fit too well into the gage put "fell into" the barrel chamber just fine)
thanks again!

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
The die is indeed set up correctly. Some are hanging up in the gage about 1/8 from seating in it fully
What are you calling a gague? The die? Or are you using a case gague? If you are talking about the case lacking 1/8" going into the die, then your die set up is wrong. When the ram is at the top, the case chould be completly in the die. As Steve said, set up your sizing die so it just makes contact with the shell holder.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Sized only brass. A case gage . Im just saying after sizing they dont all just drop in and out of the gage..Is that a problem?
http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25548/catid/3/Dillon_Handgun_Case_Gages
thanks again....
Could be.

Take the barrel out of the slide and use it for a case gauge. If they drop in and out with ease then you should be OK. If not there is something wrong with your sizing set up.

The die is indeed set up correctly.
How did you set it up? Details please.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a single stage press, handle down, the die is screwed down untill it touches the shell holder and backed of a 1/4 turn and the set screw tightened. LIke the thickness of a matchbook

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
I just don't understand why you are having case length problems with a .45ACP pistol. I have some cases that I've been reloading for years, and I don't even own a case gauge, or a case trimmer. If it's just case length problems, it isn't caused by your die, or die set up.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I have a single stage press, handle down, the die is screwed down untill it touches the shell holder and backed of a 1/4 turn and the set screw tightened. LIke the thickness of a matchbook
That's your problem.

The die should touch the shell holder and NOT be backed out 1/4 turn, let it touch. In fact let it touch plus a fraction of a turn is even better.

·
Registered
672 Posts
That's your problem.

The die should touch the shell holder and NOT be backed out 1/4 turn, let it touch. In fact let it touch plus a fraction of a turn is even better.
I think you are on the right track, my reloading book says, lower die to touch the shell holder, lower shell holder and drop die another 1/8 turn, and lock into place,

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think you are on the right track, my reloading book says, lower die to touch the shell holder, lower shell holder and drop die another 1/8 turn, and lock into place,
My manuals also say to adjust to the holder then lower ram and turn 1/8 turn more. They are both older manuals but that's what they say. Maybe his manual is newer and different, or a misprint?

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
My manuals also say to adjust to the holder then lower ram and turn 1/8 turn more. They are both older manuals but that's what they say. Maybe his manual is newer and different, or a misprint?
Could be, but I doubt it. I have Lee Redding and RCBS carbide pistol dies and none of them say to back the "sizing" die out.

Even if his die manufacturer does recommend to back the die out, it isn't working, screw it into the press until it does work.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
When all else fails, measure the case! For the case length a good set of dial calipers will work fine and for measuring the OD use a good 1" micrometer. Without knowing how big the case is and where it may be too big, everything is just a W.A.G., shotgun approach...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.