The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
230 gr FMJ,
I am using some NOS Unique powder and there is some difference in the older and newer loading manuals

I have ran some at 5.5 gr and they are pretty close to factory loads but I would like to go a bit lower to have a round thats easier to handle at the range when shooting several mags

·
Registered
162 Posts
I all ways use W231 for 230gr ball loads. 5.4gr 1.270 C.O.A.L will get you 800 to 820fps or 4.9gr WST same C.O.A.L for 780fps. both are my favorite ball load. I save my unique for 38spl and 44spl.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
3.5-4.0gns of Clays or thereabouts. I always have it on hand in large quantity (8lb keg at a time) for shotgun loading. Very low charge weight gives you more bang for your buck.

titegroup also for me sometimes, middle of the road load range, nothing too hot.

but there's plenty others that work great as well. Clays is nice and clean and is good for cast boolits too I believe, softer projectiles tend to like the faster powders (it's a theory anyway)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
230 gr bullet
5.4 gr W231
5 gr Bullseye
4.5 gr Titegroup

Those are my fav 23o gr 'Ball' loads.

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any w231 but I have plenty of HP 38
It should be comparable

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
same powder

·
Registered
70 Posts
Old 45ACP Recipe
5.5 gr American Select
180 Gr SWC Lead
Been usingf this Recipie for a bunch of years for IDPA, USPSA & SASS

G

·
I have 1 load

200gr bullet RN, TC, what ever lead, jacket, platted doesn't matter.

5gr Titegroup

any case

any primer.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Im at 5.1 for my 200 gr loads too. Excellent performance with cast or jacketed in any case over any primer. I dig me some wolf primers too. Folks seem to think they suck, which leaves them available for me to buy. and cheaper too.

G

·
Im at 5.1 for my 200 gr loads too. Excellent performance with cast or jacketed in any case over any primer. I dig me some wolf primers too. Folks seem to think they suck, which leaves them available for me to buy. and cheaper too.
I love wolf primers. I got 10k give or take of them in the ammo safe.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Im currently just about out of Wolf primers. I loaded my last bucket of .45 brass and used them up. Still got plenty of CCI and Winchester to burn up tho. But ill be restocking with Wolf.

·
Super Moderator
41,364 Posts
I have two basic loads for the ACP, both involve Titegroup powder.

1. 230 grain bullet with 5.1 grains of powder.
2. 200 grain bullet with 5.5 grains of powder.

I have tried different powders but usually come pack to these two loads.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
And by your loads George I deduct you shoot .45s made from steel and wood. As well as maybe a carbine or 2. Those are fair stout loads for the .45. Excellent none the less. I developed a sweeeet shooting hottie with 200 gr Dardas cast RN over 5.8 gr Titegroup. Awesome shooting load, but I rarely use it as I feel its only really safe in my 1911s.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Since the "ritis" got to my wrist I've been using 5.0gr W231 with my 200gr SWC, seems to help with the pain and a consistant grouping.
YMMV
Smoky

·
Super Moderator
41,364 Posts
And by your loads George I deduct you shoot .45s made from steel and wood. As well as maybe a carbine or 2.
Your deductions would be correct, Sir.

I will have to try the 5.8 of Titegroup!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts