The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into some various head stamped .45 acp brass. Federal being in the mix. After cleaning up the brass, was using a Large Pocket brush and it doesnt seem to fit in the pocket of Federal brass. So i guess the question i have is do i toss the Federal brass or is this one of those off shoot things like i need to use the small pistol primers with this brass for the .45 ACP? If i do will it produce enough of a primary charge to be effective with the .45 acp?

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Hope this helps: Some .45 ACP ammo was loaded with ammunition suitable for indoor range use and had small pistol primers. I have a few of these. I use them for my "I don't care if I loose them or not" shooting stash. The rest of my .45 ACP brass is hunt-and-seek brass when I shoot them. I've never had any ignition problems with small primer .45 ACP brass.

·
Super Moderator
26,907 Posts
They aren't crimped pockets by any chance, are they? If not, and they're just SP primers, you should have no ignition problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am trying to use up my Remington 2 1/2 stock. Will this onky take the Federal. I do not think they are crimped primers. But I can definitely toss the small pocket brass as to not waste any small primers on that have a chance of not being effective.

When I get a small primer pocket .4r5 ACP, I throw them away.
That maybe my option im heading towards.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have several hundred of the 45 ACP cartridges with small primer pockets. I separated it after cleaning and load it just like the cases that take large primers and either put the ammo in my rainy day stash or when I go shooting I just take one or the other to not mix it up again. I like having the option to load the 45's with either primer size if the need arises.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Am trying to use up my Remington 2 1/2 stock. Will this onky take the Federal. I do not think they are crimped primers. But I can definitely toss the small pocket brass as to not waste any small primers on that have a chance of not being effective.

That maybe my option im heading towards.
You ask if they will only take Federal primers. No. Any U.S. brand of small pistol primers will work. Be a shame to toss that brass. If you ever go to a place where you can't or don't want to pick up your .45 brass - those are a good candidate.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Federal makes them and in aluminum and brass with the small primer. I just separate them until I get a bunch and then load them separately. Some companies like Starline uses only the large pistol primer and says they give higher velocity. Small Pistol Primers vs Large Pistol Primers | Rifle, Handgun, and Pistol Brass (starlinebrass.com)

However, they use the same 45 acp brass to form their 400 Corbon brass and they recommend either small pistol or small rifle primers for those hotter rounds. Theoretically, the smaller primer leaves more brass and a stronger case.

When I go shooting, I try to just take the one size so I can keep them separate. FWIW

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have several hundred of the 45 ACP cartridges with small primer pockets. I separated it after cleaning and load it just like the cases that take large primers and either put the ammo in my rainy day stash or when I go shooting I just take one or the other to not mix it up again. I like having the option to load the 45's with either primer size if the need arises.
I guess I didn't realize the .45 acp round had both options. This may be the best solution separate and keep as rainy day round.
Federal makes them and in aluminum and brass with the small primer. I just separate them until I get a bunch and then load them separately. Some companies like Starline uses only the large pistol primer and says they give higher velocity. Small Pistol Primers vs Large Pistol Primers | Rifle, Handgun, and Pistol Brass (starlinebrass.com)

However, they use the same 45 acp brass to form their 400 Corbon brass and they recommend either small pistol or small rifle primers for those hotter rounds. Theoretically, the smaller primer leaves more brass and a stronger case.

When I go shooting, I try to just take the one size so I can keep them separate. FWIW
Small rifle primers?

·
Banned
122 Posts
I guess I didn't realize the .45 acp round had both options. This may be the best solution separate and keep as rainy day round.

Small rifle primers?
You "can" use small rifle primers in 45 acp cases or many other handgun calibers, but no reason to do so unless you cannot get the small ones. Rifle primers are harder to set off so they might not always work in a gun with a light hammer spring. I think one of the problems with some of the early 9mm import ammo is that the primers, were small rifle primers and they were very hard to prevent slam fire. They were made for submachine guns actually. So, if you ever bought the early 9mm cheap ammo, you probably shot small rifle primers. That ammo was also in the Plus P level. Most of the 9mm import ammo now is made for handguns so not an issue. But yes you can use the small pistol primers as long as you have not changed your hammer spring.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Timely topic as I sorted 45 brass this afternoon and am loading this evening. I used to give all small primer 45 brass away to anyone that wanted it, now I keep it and have a stash of 200 or so. My reasoning is the primer shortage, I have about 10k more small pistol primers than large. If primers are scarce for more than a few years, I'll have options.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Timely topic as I sorted 45 brass this afternoon and am loading this evening. I used to give all small primer 45 brass away to anyone that wanted it, now I keep it and have a stash of 200 or so. My reasoning is the primer shortage, I have about 10k more small pistol primers than large. If primers are scarce for more than a few years, I'll have options.
Good point. As things get scarce an extra 200 rounds can be a big deal. I also reload the steel cases after reading an article about 10 years ago. I shoot 45 acp in a second cylinder in single actions and in a SW Governor. I load them light, about 6 grains of Unique and a 225 grain bullet and they hold up about as good as brass at least the first several loadings that I have tried. I throw away any that get a spot of rust, but they are free at the range and easy to pick up with a magnet. Elmer Keith once wrote that if they could ever invent a steel pistol case that would allow dramatically more powerful loads. Now it is everywhere. I even have some from Tullamo in 357 mag, all with boxer primers. So,I recommend them to anybody that wants cheap brass. I love em.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Seems i can find large pistol primers much easier
You can, at the moment. If the shortages persist or abate and reappear, LPPs and LRPs may be the components that go "M.I.A.", while the small primers may be in abundance. Like another forum member said, if you have them stashed away somewhere, you'll have options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts