The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what stage is the best time to run my cases through the bulge buster?
After I've cleaned them or resized them or before I start?

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
i'm not doing 45acp.. but in general, i clean my brass before i do any case prep like resizing.. etc..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just received my bulge buster in 45 ACP and 9MM. I checked some reloaded ammo with my Wilson gauge and some were tight and one would not fit ran the whole batch thru the bulge buster (loaded ammo) and re checked with gauge worked great. then i ran all the my unloaded brass thru the tool works great ether way.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
44,789 Posts
flarooster42 and crazy T, welcome to The Firearms Forum.

I have never used one of the bulge busters. I have heard a lot about them but I thought these were to be used only when the ammo was fired through a Glock pistol.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I've used my GRx religiously for a couple years now for .40, I don't have anything for .45 as I do not see any signs of bulging. I should inspect/measure but only thing .45 is getting shot out of is my 1911's which have near full support in the chamber.

for certain a good thing to use if you're unsure though!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've used them but not for 45/9.

Lee says you can use it on completed (loaded) ammo. I don't think that is a great idea, but apparently, they believe it is safe. I use it after cleaning and inspection but before de-capping, charging etc.

I just bought a Redding push through and I like it more than the Lee push through.

·
Super Moderator
44,789 Posts
I may have to look at getting one for the .40. Most of the brass that I have for the .40 came from my son's police range. I am sure that many if not all of them were shot through Glocks.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
I was not aware they made a Bulge Buster for the 9mm because it is a slightly tapered case. I have tossed some bulged 9mm that came from a Glock because I couldn't find a 9mm bulge buster, a 9mm Lee Factory Crimp Die but no bulge buster. Rooster, what brand did you get?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've never needed to use one on a 9 or 45 case, and a lot of those went through Glocks. I have used a Redding on 40s though. With the 40, I tumble, resize and drop it in the barrel or a gauge. If it fits, and most of them do, I certainly don't bother with the "bulge removal" die. Even if it is safe, I wouldn't run a loaded round through the GRx.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I thought Redding only sold 40S&W bulge busters (GX) and Lee is the only other company that makes these, I beleive. I think I saw a Lee 9mm bulger but never a 45.

..beats me? I thought the 9mm round was too weak to cause a case bulge - even in a unsupported chamber. I never heard of a 45 bulge either.... but apparently, this can happen.

·
Super Moderator
44,789 Posts
I just looked at Midway and I have a question or two, do they only come in one size? It looks like the same one fits 380, 40 and 45. Does someone make one that doesn't require the Factory Crimp Die? I use the FCD for .40 and .45 but not .380.

EDIT: I just looked for a 9mm one and could not find one listed any where.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I only use the FCD's for rifle rounds.

if you do get the GRx, get the carbide one, it's only a little more but better I believe. Not sure what they cost anymore, probablly not too much more than I paid. $40 maybe?

·
Super Moderator
30,467 Posts
In theory, you should be able to do it to any rimless case that Lee sells a FCD for. That's one item that's required but not included.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ive shot about 2500 reloads from my glock .45 and never had a case bulge.Some of my cases has been reloaded over 10 times. Ive been told not to shoot reloads out of my glock because of the case not being fully supported because of the feed ramp.Is this true?I obviosley inspect every case before reloading for cracks or and deformitees.My gunsmith told me I could shoot reloads no problem just dont shoot lead bullets through the glock barrell so I use plated bullets.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I have lot of range pickup brass that was fired through .45ACP Glocks. Haven't run into any that were bulged to the point that weren't fine after a trip through a standard resizing die.
I only have two 1911s right now, neither with a match chamber, but so far all of my reloads have been chambering fine regardless of if it was scrounged brass or once-fired from my own pistols.

.45ACP is a lower pressure round than .40S&W, so even if the Glock .45 chambers are unsupported like the .40s I think the brass holds up better.

I don't own a .40, so I can't comment on em except that I have a bunch of .40 range pick-ups from Glocks that WILL need a trip through a bulge buster if I ever do decide to use em.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ive shot about 2500 reloads from my glock .45 and never had a case bulge.Some of my cases has been reloaded over 10 times. Ive been told not to shoot reloads out of my glock because of the case not being fully supported because of the feed ramp.Is this true?I obviosley inspect every case before reloading for cracks or and deformitees.My gunsmith told me I could shoot reloads no problem just dont shoot lead bullets through the glock barrell so I use plated bullets.
I load for my Glock 20. Never had any bulging issues. Maybe the 10mm isn't known for bulged cases? I don't know.......

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I load for my Glock 20. Never had any bulging issues. Maybe the 10mm isn't known for bulged cases? I don't know.......
Good to hear,I dont reload at the top of the powder charge either.I just use reloades for target shooting so no need to load them that hot.Maybe the hotter loads are more succeptable to bulging beings how there would be more pressure.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
10mm has a different (thicker I think?) case wall dimensions/taper than it's little brother. Plus I believe 10mm chambers are more likely to be supported better. Wouldn't hurt though, I'll ask a buddy of mine who has a couple 10mm's for his duty gun.

I've been wanting that powerhouse for a while now, ammo is just so damn expensive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts