.45 colt crimping ?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by weirdbeard, May 1, 2009.

1. weirdbeard

weirdbeard New Member

Heys guys I am new to reloading and was looking for some information and knowledge on crimping so I don't blow my arm off. I will be loading for a New Vaquero .45 colt. My main question is on crimping and cannelure. I am use Lee carbide pistol dies and was wondering if they will give me the roll crimp that looks like it comes when I buy factory rounds. Is it even necessary for a roll crimp. Also on most cast bullets it looks like there is a groove for the crimp...is this correct and why do some don't have it? Sorry for my ignorance any tips would be great. Thanks

2. koginam

koginam New Member

Those dies should work for you. I would recommend you trim all cases the same length before belling the mouth and crimping so you won't have problems. with different length cases you will not get uniform crimps. Both lead and jacketed bullets come with and without canalure