The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a recipe for 250gr Speer Deep Curl in .45 Colt-no loads on speer site and this is the only speer bullet I have so I'm not going to waste money on Speer book-I have tons of other new/old load books for bullets I load.Thx for any info.....will be used in Judge carbine so not looking for Ruger loads-I don't think the Judge would handle them...

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Important Reloading Data
DeepCurl's unique construction process joins the jacket to the core at the molecular level for excellent performance and consistency. For this reason, conventional reloading data developed for standard jacketed bullets should not be used to load DeepCurl® rifle bullets. Only DeepCurl specific reloading data should be used. It can be found here at reloading data pages in the reloading data pages or by contacting Speer Technical Services at 866-286-7436. DeepCurl handgun bullets can use data from the Speer Reloading Manual #14.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Important Reloading Data
DeepCurl's unique construction process joins the jacket to the core at the molecular level for excellent performance and consistency. For this reason, conventional reloading data developed for standard jacketed bullets should not be used to load DeepCurl® rifle bullets. Only DeepCurl specific reloading data should be used. It can be found here at reloading data pages in the reloading data pages or by contacting Speer Technical Services at 866-286-7436. DeepCurl handgun bullets can use data from the Speer Reloading Manual #14.
27 calls in 2 weeks/leaving ph# for call back-NO reply

Thx twobit-will try that and chrono

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Interesting.
So, what basic law of physics does this unique bullet change with it's construction?
Is the jacket itself of something other than gilding metal?
That's the only reason I can come up with for anything of significance to the basic physics of reloading.
If it's performace is so good and consistant, it would be more forgiving than "conventional" jacketed bullets, wouldn't it?
Frankly, I say B.S. to this, it flat out doesn't ring true.
Marketing mumbo-jumbo to increase manual sales. IMO!
I am a skeptic by nature, perhaps I'm wrong.
If I'm wrong, can someone please tell me the reasons?
And yes, I could call, but I'm a skeptic, and believe they would 'toe the line' for marketing.
Oh, BTW, the quote steve4102 put up states "rifle" bullets, are we talking the same with the .45 Colt?

·
Registered
17,289 Posts
No, we're not. 45 rifle bullets are .458 diameter, and are designed for 45/70 and 458 Win Mag, and like that.

45 Colt, whether used in a rifle or a pistol, uses 45 pistol bullets. Jacketed would be 452 diameter.

So, unless Steve is making it up :eek: :p, according to the last line of his post >DeepCurl handgun bullets can use data from the Speer Reloading Manual #14.<, Zant should just go ahead and load 'em.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yup, the Speer Deep Curl HANDGUN bullets are the same as the old Gold Dot Handgun Hunting line...
They are heavier jacket versions of the Gold Dot design specifically tuned for expanding in game animals and not two-legged bad-guy type critters. The design originally replaced the "old-school" jacketed hollow point jacketed soft point designs that Speer used to have.
I suspect they changed the name of em when they introduced the Deep Curl rifle bullets to get the "hunting" bullets to having the same name.

The Speer site also states that the data from their current manual CAN be used for the DeepCurl handgun bullets.
Essentially...given normal due diligence, any published/tested loading data for a similar design bullet can safely be used.

Steve is correct in that Speer announced that the DeepCurl rifle bullets should use only their own data, but I suspect that is because some of them have this new-fangled "Boron Nitride" coating.
Boron Nitride is the latest fad for lubing jacketed bullets...kinda like moly-disulfide was a few years back except it's supposed to be not as messy.
Otherwise, the DeepCurls appear to be the same as any other of the premium bonded-core hunting bullets available from other makers. I would still recommend anyone, especially a novice, heed Speer's warning though and use their data. It's always a good excuse to add another manual to the reloading room bookshelf. :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Zant, once you chrono that load, would you post it here? I'd be interested in knowing what the FPS is since I don't have a chrono. I've got 100 rounds of that recipe loaded up.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zant, once you chrono that load, would you post it here? I'd be interested in knowing what the FPS is since I don't have a chrono. I've got 100 rounds of that recipe loaded up.
Will do-probably tomorrow......also box says hunting only-if I load some for my computer desk Blackhawk,does this mean they won't work on an intruder:)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Will do-probably tomorrow......also box says hunting only-if I load some for my computer desk Blackhawk,does this mean they won't work on an intruder:)
If they break into your house, you are gonna HUNT them right?
I think they'd work just fine on two-legged bad-guy type critters...in a pinch. ;)

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Twobit-been real cloudy,cleared today,anyway-8gr Unique
1-909fps
2-899
3-910
4-892
5-912
Used CCI Lgp in 7.5 Blackhawk...these are for my friends Judge Carbine...loaded 6 w/2400 for my computer desk Ruger-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts