The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .45 Sharps Rifle. I am unsure of the year, I know it has Pat dates but I don't think that's the date it was made. This has the 30" octagon barrel, double triggers. I don't believe this is a conversion. I was told it's missing the vernier sights, but other than that its in decent shape for it's age. Serial # is C13399. Took this to a local gun shop back in 2005 to get an idea of what it was worth and they said $5500-$7500. I am going to sell it and would like to know what a fair price is for it in todays market. This is a beautiful antique and it just sits in the gun safe 24/7, I know someone other than us would greatly enjoy this gun more than we ever have.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
39,024 Posts
Good looking rifle. I don't know a whole lot about them, but the butt stock doesn't look exactly right to me. I have never seen one with checkering, that don't mean there wasn't though!! I saw one similar to it at a gun show last weekend that was being sold for something like $2500(+-). The real experts will be by and give you an opinion shortly.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
I am pretty sure your gun started life as a percussion Civil War Carbine New Model 1863. The cut out in front of the hammer is to clear the original percussion hammer. It was most likely converted to a 50-70 Carbine by the US Gov't. The witness mark for the barrel does not match the current barrel Your serial number is 113399. The C stands for 100,000. It looks like the rear hole for the tang sight is drilled off center.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am pretty sure your gun started life as a percussion Civil War Carbine New Model 1863. The cut out in front of the hammer is to clear the original percussion hammer. It was most likely converted to a 50-70 Carbine by the US Gov't. The witness mark for the barrel does not match the current barrel Your serial number is 113399. The C stands for 100,000. It looks like the rear hole for the tang sight is drilled off center.

So in other words the barrel should have a witness mark that matches up? Does this mean it was pieced together? My father received this in payment for mechanic work he did for someone in the 70's and after he passed we ended up with it. He used to fire it at least once a year. Was told he made his own ammo, he had a die for it but we unfortunately didn't receive that. I'm sorry but I don't know much about guns, would this use shells or was it black powder? I thought I had some but not sure it they went to another rifle we had? Going to look for them now.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
Those shells do NOT go to that rifle, the gun is chambered for .45-70 Govt. round or as Sharps called them, .45 x 2 1/10, pretty much every ammunition and firearms company had their own trade name for the .45-70 Govt. round.

And yes this would have been a black powder cartridge and should not be fired with high velocity smokeless loads that are for modern lever action .45-70's. You can shoot factory made smokeless rounds in them but you need to buy the ones that say "safe for use in trap door actions" these are loaded to pressures that will not exceed the old black powder rounds that the old .45-70's were designed to fire.

If you do decide to fire it take it to a qualified gunsmith for a careful examination before you take it to the range.

·
Super Moderator
39,024 Posts
Does your rifle have any more markings on it? Where did the name "Old Reliable" come from, is it marked on the barrel? I think your's might be one of the Sharps rifles that were converted to a heavy barrel and sold by a company in St. Louis named E. H. Meaham. I was told at that gun show last week that they were converted to 45/90 and 45/110 and many were sold to buffalo hunters.

Do a search for "Sharps Meacham Conversion" and you will see a bunch of rifles very much like your at some of the auction houses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those shells do NOT go to that rifle, the gun is chambered for .45-70 Govt. round or as Sharps called them, .45 x 2 1/10, pretty much every ammunition and firearms company had their own trade name for the .45-70 Govt. round.

And yes this would have been a black powder cartridge and should not be fired with high velocity smokeless loads that are for modern lever action .45-70's. You can shoot factory made smokeless rounds in them but you need to buy the ones that say "safe for use in trap door actions" these are loaded to pressures that will not exceed the old black powder rounds that the old .45-70's were designed to fire.

If you do decide to fire it take it to a qualified gunsmith for a careful examination before you take it to the range.

I'm sorry, but I'm just clueless when it comes to this stuff. I'm going to talk to my brother, he knows a little more than I do. He inherited this gun originally but 15+ years ago he needed a vehicle so we traded a vehicle for the gun. I definitely won't be firing it. Just trying to get a good/correct description of this rifle so I can advertise correctly for a fair price. What would you estimate it is worth?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does your rifle have any more markings on it? Where did the name "Old Reliable" come from, is it marked on the barrel? I think your's might be one of the Sharps rifles that were converted to a heavy barrel and sold by a company in St. Louis named E. H. Meaham. I was told at that gun show last week that they were converted to 45/90 and 45/110 and many were sold to buffalo hunters.

Do a search for "Sharps Meacham Conversion" and you will see a bunch of rifles very much like your at some of the auction houses.
Yes this does look similar, the design on the wood etc. Old Reliable is on the top of the barrel I believe to the left in the picture where it says 45 Caliber, my other pics that show the Old Reliable are on another computer so don't have them in front of me at the moment. Only other markings I can think of are the Pat dates Oct & Sept with the year. Serial # is on top where I'm assuming the vernier sights would go. I appreciate your input.

One other question I had for you all is what do you think of Rock Island Auctions? They have been calling me for years. Just makes me nervous to ship them something so expensive and not have a reserve price :eek: What places do you recommend to sell this on?

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
No reason to be sorry, I was just concerned that you might try to fire those .243 shells in your Sharps.

No idea on the value it might bring, your best bet would be to use a reputable auction house like Rock Island. they will have experts that can accurately identify what it is and can get you the best price for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No reason to be sorry, I was just concerned that you might try to fire those .243 shells in your Sharps.

No idea on the value it might bring, your best bet would be to use a reputable auction house like Rock Island. they will have experts that can accurately identify what it is and can get you the best price for it.
Okay, so you think Rock Island is a good option, they've been calling me for years. I was just hesitant because they have no reserve, it just sells for whatever people bid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts