The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A coworker here has been gathering some reloading supplies for his new 1911 and he stumbled across some blemished bullets at Midway last week. Midway doesn't put a name on the blems that they sell...I've got both Hornady and Nosler from them before plus Winchester and Remington bulk too.

They are a 220gr truncated cone FMJ. .451" diameter with no cannelure.
I don't have the stock number handy but I'm guessing they flew off the shelves pretty quickly.

This is the first 220gr TC FMJ I've seen and I'm wondering if anyone else has crossed paths with that weight/design before as to what brand they might be and what cartridge might've been built up around a 220gr instead of the usual 200 or 230 weight.

We've found some 225gr data that we can use...and we can work up with 230gr data as well.
But if anyone has a source for 220gr specific data for the .45ACP I'd like to locate some for him.
He's a new reloader too so I want to get him off on the right foot by using published data.

Currently I've got him started with 230gr and he has Bullseye on hand. But I'm open for other powder suggestions too (Preferably Unique, Titegroup, or W231. Those are powders that I use for the .45 and I feel more comfortable getting him started with stuff that I'm familiar with)

Eventually I hope to convince him to spend a bit of time online and drop in here. Gotta try my hand at recruiting more gun nuts for around here! :D

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Re: .452" 220gr FMJ truncated cone bullets?

usually .451 for plated/copper bullets and some folks go .452 for lead but I would think he'd be fine with 'em in .45acp.

charge weights, if you follow 230gn load data for jacketed bullets, you will be OK. Very few 220gn .45acp bullets out there.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
ah, OK, even better. Good to go, .451 is mo' betta for jacketed stuff.

lot's of great powders out there for .45, was reading through the Sinclair catalog today brushing up on my powders and remembered how many great choices there are for .45. I've been stuck in a rut with Clays and titegroup as I keep an 8lb er on hand, but am about to try some more myself...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts