454 Casull?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by COMSnomad, Jul 11, 2020.

1. COMSnomad

COMSnomad Active Member

Anyone have experience with the 454 Casull? I'm curious because it'd seem like a good modern round for a rifle/revolver combo.

tedwitt, jim brady and shootbrownelk like this.
  2. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I did have one years ago. The recoil was nasty and every now and then , you had to take a screwdriver and retighten all the screws because they worked loose. I sold it a long time ago and I don't regret it. It was simply too much recoil for me. Bought a 41 mag and I was happy with that.

joe45c, Gun Geezer, tedwitt and 5 others like this.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Lotsa horsepower in a revolver. Makes a really good lever rifle round and would fit nicely in an Ideal action single shot or 1885. Think heavy loaded 45 Colt on steroids...which it basically is.

tedwitt, jim brady, flboots and 3 others like this.
  4. COMSnomad

COMSnomad Active Member

I’ve been following this round for years, just never have been able to purchase one. I’m a .44 mag guy but thought it might be time for a little more oomph. Was just curious on folks Real World hunting experience with the round.

tedwitt, sparkyv and shootbrownelk like this.
  5. sharps4590

Ballistics is ballistics....

tedwitt, shootbrownelk and COMSnomad like this.
  6. V509

V509 Well-Known Member

I have owned several Ruger Super Redhawks in 454. I would take one to the range and a friend or coworker would see how well it shot and end up buying it
    I would miss it and buy another

7. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

I had a 454 Freedom Arms Revolver, (the screw problem was never seen even after 1000 rounds.) Loved it but Life and kids happened. Have never had the funds to replace it. It will take any North American game animal and until the 500 Mag came along was the choice for Alaskan Guides for protection. In a rifle its range is limited similar to the 30-30. And Alaskan natives still use the 30-30 to take almost any game animal needed. So other than being heaver than the 30-30 you could use the revolver/rifle combo if you desired.
    I wish I could afford to obtain that combo myself.
    FYI.. Ruger has the 454 in a SA revolver I would love to have!!

8. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger SuperRedHawk in .454 Casull. I have taken Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetails and several Cow Elk with mine. I agree that the recoil is brutal. I liked the fact that I can shoot the Casull loads or .45 Colts in it. I reload .45 Colt for it exclusively. Souped up .45 Colts kill as well as the Casull at ranges under 100 yards IMO, and are far less punishing concerning recoil. Those 300 grain Hornady Casull ammo hurts...even with a PAST shooting glove.

tedwitt, jim brady, sparkyv and 2 others like this.
  9. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

Funny, I just noted the recoil in Rae's post on a drawer gun. Yes, I almost bought a 454 Casull, but after thinking about it overnight, the recoil was indeed nasty as you say. I shot it once at the range, thought I would buy it and the next day cancelled a private sale.

Hats off to those who handle that kind of recoil, but not my cup of tea.

tedwitt, jim brady, sparkyv and 3 others like this.
  10. sharps4590

Is the 44 Mag. not working for you? What makes you think you need more "oomph"?

I've been shooting a Freedom Arms Model 97 in 45 Colt for a bit over 20 years and, I shot a 44 Mag. Ruger, SBH for 20 years before that, taking some game with both revolvers. When we lived in Wyoming I had it, the Freedom Arms, loaded with 300 gr. hard cast at 1050-1100 fps. I fished and hunted the tall and uncut where griz were known to live and that was what I carried when up there. The Model 97 probably weighs about the same as a Super Blackhawk and I can't imagine needing anymore oomph than that 45 Colt load provided. It was also scary accurate out to 100 yards, for an open sighted revolver. When we moved back to Missouri I pulled all the bullets and dumped the powder charge and reloaded them with 255 gr. KTSWC's at 950-1000 fps. Much more sensible load.

tedwitt, jim brady, Alaska444 and 3 others like this.
  11. COMSnomad

COMSnomad Active Member

I think the .44mag is fine, but I'm moving to WY where the animals are a 'little' bigger than I'm used to. I figure even handloading you can only go up so much before it becomes unsafe, to you And your firearm, and with the Casull you can always down load, or as you said use the 45 Colt.
    I figure I have a little more room to work with that way. Plus, I've just always Wanted a 454 Casull rifle and revolver pair :cool:.

12. sharps4590

I could see the roof of Freedom Arms from my front porch when we lived there. I never felt undergunned with the 45 Col in the Freedom Arms. If you've always wanted a Casull, that's all the reason you need!

13. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

Buffalo Bore has a +P+ 44 mag hard cast that is in the 454 territory of power. I bought a box but never pulled the trigger on it with my 44. I sold it last year as I am getting older and don't like even the recoil of a 44. Besides, shooting it one handed because of my dialysis access on the left, I could hardly hit anything with that huge Ruger Super Redhawk anyway.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=9

I now have a 357 Ruger SP101 and a Glock 40 in 10 mm as my double primary woods guns. I don't carry the Glock 40 chambered because with the chest holster it crosses my dialysis access and a wound there would be instantly fatal to me with 4.1 to 4.3 Liters of blood per minute going through my access. (That is nearly the entire volume of blood most have in their aorta at 5 liters/minute.)

But the Ruger 5 shot is chambered and ready to shoot at all times. I went to the 357 and 10mm Glock as my woods gun after Phil Shoemaker killed a 1000 lb grizzly in Alaska with a 9 mm with hardcast. It is all about shot placement and penetration. I am no Jerry Miculek for sure, but I shoot these two guns much better than I ever shot that 44 single handed.

I do like the paired rifle and handgun combo's and did that with my 44 and my 357's. But if I want a lever rifle in the woods, my 444 Marlin is about as good as you get. Nope, not a 45-70 for those who like to debate 444 vs 45-70, but 335 gr at 2050 fps ain't nothing I want to get hit by for sure.

If you can shoot the 454 Casull accurately and recoil isn't an issue, but all means pair it up with a rifle and enjoy. But the 44 with the Buffalo Bore +P+ is a Casull level 44 mag load that many use up in Alaska.

Enjoy and be safe with the Griz in WY.

14. Tom T

Tom T Well-Known Member

I carry a Ruger 454 when in Griz country loaded with 330 grain hard cast may only get one round off but wont it to do some damage to MR Griz may hurt when I fire it but wont it to hurt MR Griz even more other times load with 45 Colt.

tedwitt and COMSnomad like this.
  15. Rock185

Rock185 Well-Known Member

I have no experience with .454 in a rifle, but have owned a Freedom Arms .454 for over 20 years. I had no Earthly reason to buy the gun other than I wanted it. I'd handled a couple FA guns and was very impressed with their build quality. I was shooting a lot of .45ACP at the time and reloaded for it, so I ordered my gun with an extra .45ACP cylinder. Mine has not been shot a lot over the years, but I still enjoy owning it and have never regretted buying the gun. Oh yea, I'd previously shot and reloaded my share of .41 and .44 Magnum. But recoil wise, the full power .454 is a "whole nuther thing". Can't say I enjoy that aspect of owning and shooting the .454 much. But it's that ballistics thing;)
    Primier Grade  454 with extra 45ACP cylinder (800x600) - Copy - Copy (2).jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020