The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating building a 458 socom ar. It is not practical at all, but I very much like the round and platform, considering its potential to be so ABSOLUTELY devastating; especially in a SHTF scenario. What if any casings can be reworked to accommodate? If buying new or once fired 458 brass is my only option, it will probably just remain wishful thinking/a pipe dream.

Danke.

·
Premium Member
9,910 Posts
Can’t beat that @tuckerd1
A quick read shows the parent case was a 50AE that had been stretched then necked down and finally the rim was trimmed in a lathe. Seems like a lot of work when they can be had for under a buck.

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
I have a 458 in the works, yup, not practial but sounds cool. The thing is, it's a bottleneck case with a short shoulder. Makes forming brass more of a pain.

·
Administrator
11,980 Posts
I have a 458 in the works, yup, not practial but sounds cool. The thing is, it's a bottleneck case with a short shoulder. Makes forming brass more of a pain.
That would be an easy one to form. Similar to forming 300BO from 223/556. Just going from 50 to 458. Try taking a 45-90 down to 8x58.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even though staring down the business end of any firearm from .17 to all they way up is an unpleasant and generally frightful experience, the 458 socom looks just ridiculous; especially in comparison to a 223. But the cost of ammo is astounding..
That being said, it's not overly expensive to build an ar chambered in it.

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
Yeah, the practical route would be to go with the 50 Beowolf.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the practical route would be to go with the 50 Beowolf.
Is that a joke or is it actually more practical from a cost standpoint?
Any guns I've ever owned bigger than a 308 were not in my possession long and I never bought ammo for.
Wish I kept the 7.62x54r and 8mm mauser though.. but hey, being young and dumb only happens once..

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
Is that a joke or is it actually more practical from a cost standpoint?
Any guns I've ever owned bigger than a 308 were not in my possession long and I never bought ammo for.
Wish I kept the 7.62x54r and 8mm mauser though.. but hey, being young and dumb only happens once..
It is actually more practical to go with the 50.

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
Even though staring down the business end of any firearm from .17 to all they way up is an unpleasant and generally frightful experience, the 458 socom looks just ridiculous; especially in comparison to a 223.
.....and a 12 ga. pump gun is even more so....... 😁

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I have had a Rock River Arms .458 SOCOM for 11 years. Since I reload it isn't that expensive. Absolutely devastating down range. When bought it, reward for quitting smoking, RRA wasn't offering .50 anything in my price range. People tend to recommend what they like. I say buy what you want. Listen to their opinions but in the end it boils down to what you yourself want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
.....and a 12 ga. pump gun is even more so....... 😁
Lol.
Smaller calibers don't even hurt at first, and if not for the blinding flash and deafening boom, you wouldn't immediately know.
I imagine it's very different for a 12 ga. Or any of those mega stopping power rounds..

I have had a Rock River Arms .458 SOCOM for 11 years. Since I reload it isn't that expensive. Absolutely devastating down range. When bought it, reward for quitting smoking, RRA wasn't offering .50 anything in my price range. People tend to recommend what they like. I say buy what you want. Listen to their opinions but in the end it boils down to what you yourself want.
I will have to dig deep and analyze cost and availability of both.
Like I said, both are nowhere near practical for myself (and probably 99% of others).
But this is AMERICA! lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
I built 2 458 SOCOM ARs last year...before I knew that my range wouldn’t let me shoot them, nor 450 Bushmaster nor 50 Beowulf. We got off three rounds in the first rifle before a jam stopped our fun for the day. Went home, cleared up the issue, went back the next day. Man working the counter asked if we’d brought our 458 SOCOM back, then had us read a range rules card we’d never seen before.
Thus, 3 rounds in one, and zero in the other...I haven’t even mounted my 458 SOCOM dies as there’s no empty cases to load, and we’d have no place to test loads or create more empties. Shame.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I built 2 458 SOCOM ARs last year...before I knew that my range wouldn’t let me shoot them, nor 450 Bushmaster nor 50 Beowulf. We got off three rounds in the first rifle before a jam stopped our fun for the day. Went home, cleared up the issue, went back the next day. Man working the counter asked if we’d brought our 458 SOCOM back, then had us read a range rules card we’d never seen before.
Thus, 3 rounds in one, and zero in the other...I haven’t even mounted my 458 SOCOM dies as there’s no empty cases to load, and we’d have no place to test loads or create more empties. Shame.
That SUCKS. At least you got 3 off lol
I've shot at 1 range 1 time in my whole life (hunting cert).
Finding places to shoot isn't difficult where I'm at. Finding 1000 yards+ might be a little difficult, but not out of the question.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts