The Firearms Forum banner

45ACP ammo price

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
Wow, was I surprised. On Firday I bought 100rds of Win 45ACP 230 gr. at Walmart for $35.00 plus tax.. I took the only box they had. Yesterday I went to the local Gander Mtn and they had scads of it for , are you ready, $65.00 per 100. Same caliber and grain. WOW. Iknow GM is somewhat high but holy @$#%. I told the guy next to me in a very loud voice what I had bought it for at WM and got a very disapproving look from the guy behind the counter. I hope, if sanity ever returns to this country, that we remember who screwed us and who didn't.

#3 ·
Gander Mountain's prices on handgun ammo are very high. They have 44 mag at $54 that I can buy and my LGD for $34. The funny thing is they have Rio 12 gauge target #8' shotgun shells for $5.99 a box of 25. Thats a good price.

I don't buy any handgun ammo at Gander. I just picked up some Federal 45 auto at Walmart for $21 box of 50. I also got some CCI 22 lr for $3.95 a box of 50.

#5 · (Edited)
I told the guy next to me in a very loud voice what I had bought it for at WM and got a very disapproving look from the guy behind the counter. I hope, if sanity ever returns to this country, that we remember who screwed us and who didn't.
Stores are free to charge what they believe the market will bare, unless you know their purchase structure and operating expenses how can you pass judgment? Do they have price matching? if so discussing the competitors pricing could be understandable otherwise it's just bad manners.

#7 ·
Stores are free to charge what they believe the market will bare, unless you know their purchase structure and operating expenses how can you pass judgment? Do they have price matching? if so discussing the competitors pricing could be understandable otherwise it's just bad manners.
sure they are free too.. just as we are free to complain that those that gouge should not get our business.

int he case of gander.. this isn't the lil mom n pop store down the road that bring you in a specialty box of ammo htey had to look for 2 weeks for and paid 50$ to get it then sold it to you for 60$ to make a lil , and so that you could shoot your specialty caliber.. ie.. doing you a favor. this is a case where gander is likely paying bulk list like any other large retailer, and just scraping a thicker layer of cream off for itself knowing it can get away with it 'enough' of the time, because of panicked people that used to be sheep and now aren't.. or were otherwise un or less prepaired and now are playing catch up.

#8 ·
Mom, and Pops place is probably paid for, if not their notes are probably below $1,000 a month, plus utilities, and insurance. Gander Mt., Cabela's, and Bass Pro Shops, have huge buildings, that require massive amounts of electricity to light, heat, and cool! Their Ins is probably staggering! Why would you think these kind of stores will give you a good deal? True, they may have ammo when no one else does, but I believe they also pay higher prices just so they can have it to sell, at even higher prices! Since they will pay more, they go to the head of the line!

#9 ·
Mom, and Pops place is probably paid for, if not their notes are probably below $1,000 a month, plus utilities, and insurance. Gander Mt., Cabela's, and Bass Pro Shops, have huge buildings, that require massive amounts of electricity to light, heat, and cool! Their Ins is probably staggering! Why would you think these kind of stores will give you a good deal? True, they may have ammo when no one else does, but I believe they also pay higher prices just so they can have it to sell, at even higher prices! Since they will pay more, they go to the head of the line!
walmart must pay for the same electricity as gander. if walmart sells it for normal retail.. and gander doesn't. which one's making more profit?

#10 ·
There is no comparing Walmart to Gander. Gander Mountain sells sporting goods specifically where Walmart sells a little bit of everything. Compare people going through the doors of each place and walmart will have 25 or more times the amount of people going through their doors in a day. Just look at the parking lots. Gander Mountain may have 12 cars where Walmart has 600 plus.

#11 · (Edited)
I'm starting to believe WW is creature all unto itself and shouldn't be compared to other retail establishments. It's been awhile since I've been to Gander and to me their prices were always high as was the Dunham's I was just in, so I try real hard not to view everything through the Wal-Mart prism instead use the online pricing for comparisons of ammo pricing.

#12 ·
take any othe rlarge box store then. they all pay commercial taxes, electricity.. etc. if plywood is 25$ a sheet at the lowes at the north side of town.. it's 25$ onthe south side too. it's not 50$ there because that store wants more $$ many, many chain stores have similar pricing / regional pricing..

#13 ·
Cabela's around here is the nicest store around. Much better then our Gander. Cabela's handgun ammo is much cheaper. I do agree a retailer can sell any item for whatever the want to. On the other hand I can buy from anyone I want to. I am going to buy from whoever gives me the best price for the same item.

#14 · (Edited)
walmart must pay for the same electricity as gander. if walmart sells it for normal retail.. and gander doesn't. which one's making more profit?
This could be a gasoline price discussion--Mondays price vs Wednesdays..

prices go UP 20 cents/gal. Couple days later, or the same day-down 4 cents??

In our small town we have 3 sellers of gas--the all do MSMD--monkey see, monkey do regarding gas price. With rare exceptions they all have the same price within an hour or two??

#15 · (Edited)
If you know Gander is high priced, why go there? I already know their prices and I just dont bother. I do most of my shopping online anyhow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.