The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. I don't have a desire for anything specific...yet. Like to keep it in the $1000 or less range. (ok, $1100 if i have to)

Looking around the last few days, 2 caught my eye.

1) Sig 1911 XO 45 acp, about $750. I like the look and feel. Read some good reviews. Seems to be quality for the money. Tops my list so far.

2) Sprinfield Tactical 5" XD45acp. Think it was in the $550-$7oo range.

My main reason is because I like shooting at the range. However, if it serves 2 purposes such as home protection...even better. Not really looking for a carry piece. However, i have gone home with something I didnt intend to buy more than once.

Bottom line, i'm open to anything. There are probably a million opinions here, i'll take half that:) What do u think of the 2 mentioned and anything simmilar like SW MP etc ??

Let em rip, Thanks All!

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Of the two you mentioned, I would go with the sig. You know you are going to get thousands of recommendations here dont you? Anyhow, go feel them out...

·
Registered
37 Posts
My son got the Sringfield XD, he's with the local Sheriff Dept. and really likes it, I got a Colt 1911A and a Metro-Arms American classic in .45, his shoots more comfortably then mine if that matters to you. The Colts put away for now and the Metro is for plinking/shooting as my 13yr old girl is getting into shooting both handguns and rifles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Double D, yea i figure a ton of opinions. Maybe there will be that one idea that strikes me.

I have a Clark Custom Colt MK IV series80 45CP. LOVE IT. That's why i'm leaning 45acp, I already have the loading supplies.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The Sig 1911 has the Sig-Sauer name, but is made in America by Americans (or, so they claim with a lot of there 1911 models). While I do like the XD line, I also like Sig-Sauer.

·
Garandaholic
9,525 Posts
Well, I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. I don't have a desire for anything specific...yet. Like to keep it in the $1000 or less range. (ok, $1100 if i have to)

Looking around the last few days, 2 caught my eye.

1) Sig 1911 XO 45 acp, about $750. I like the look and feel. Read some good reviews. Seems to be quality for the money. Tops my list so far.

2) Sprinfield Tactical 5" XD45acp. Think it was in the $550-$7oo range.

My main reason is because I like shooting at the range. However, if it serves 2 purposes such as home protection...even better. Not really looking for a carry piece. However, i have gone home with something I didnt intend to buy more than once.

Bottom line, i'm open to anything. There are probably a million opinions here, i'll take half that:) What do u think of the 2 mentioned and anything simmilar like SW MP etc ??

Let em rip, Thanks All!
I have a Sig 1911 STX, I could not recommend it more highly.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The next gun show after the one, this weekend, should be in March. I'm considering one, possibly a Sig, if the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've heard that Colt will be offering a civilian version of the new M45 CQBP . Might want to take a look at that.
Would love to have it. How great is that. Probably in the $1800-$2000 range. Perfect gun for me though. see in the future about that one.;)

GunnyGene, see your from MS...I shot my first MS deer this year. Fell in love with MS, what a great place to hunt.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have the sig XO the only thing I dont like about the gun is the XO finish looks dirty all of the time. The gun has never failed in any circumstance and eats anything I put in it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have only heard of one person saying they had a jam with the XO, but it seemed they were not a fan of SIG in general, so i had doubts about their review. Now I feel good about it...just another confirmation.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Would love to have it. How great is that. Probably in the $1800-$2000 range. Perfect gun for me though. see in the future about that one.;)

GunnyGene, see your from MS...I shot my first MS deer this year. Fell in love with MS, what a great place to hunt.

From what I've read, the M45 civilian should be available early this year. Price will likely be in the range you mentioned, but might be worth it if they don't a make gazillion of them. Apparently will be provided with proof of 1" groups, two custom fitted mags, and other Custom Shop tweaks, etc. Also they fixed the cracking problems on the test guns they submitted for eval last year. If I was still young, I'd buy one in a heartbeat just for investment purposes, and stash it.

Not originally from MS, but got here as soon as I could. :) Got 20 acres of woods (north of Columbus) full of game. Nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I own 2 sig 1911s and love them both....I had a small issue with the slide stop on the scorpion when I first got it, it failed to lock open after you emptied the mag, but sig sent me a new slide stop lever and it fixed the problem. As far as feeding and accuracy, these are awesome guns...

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
We've sold a bunch of 1911's since the gun counter opened. (I run the one at the Vandenberg AFB Exchange) I like the Sig; I think it's a good quality effort, but my all time favorite is the Smith and Wesson. One up from the base model with adjustable sights and an ambidextrous safety. It has all the trick stuff on it and a really deep beavertail that lowers the gun into the hand like it was meant to. External extractor like the Sig, rosewood grips, beveled mag well, checkered front strap etc. They were selling for $995.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
We've sold a bunch of 1911's since the gun counter opened. (I run the one at the Vandenberg AFB Exchange) I like the Sig; I think it's a good quality effort, but my all time favorite is the Smith and Wesson. One up from the base model with adjustable sights and an ambidextrous safety. It has all the trick stuff on it and a really deep beavertail that lowers the gun into the hand like it was meant to. External extractor like the Sig, rosewood grips, beveled mag well, checkered front strap etc. They were selling for $995.
I have the smith e-series commander and the full size e-series as well, I love them both. I carry the commander every day...

Attachments

·
Administrator
32,507 Posts
Of the two choices listed, I'd pick the Sig.

For a personal choice, I'd buy an STI Spartan .45 ACP for a little over $600 and spend the rest on a holster, gun belt and ammo.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Outside the two named by the OP, my absolute favorite sub-1K 1911 is the STI Spartan. Well constructed and super accuracy. The best bet, though, is to rent or borrow those that you are considering and see what "fits" your tastes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts