The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I have the itch for another revolver. I have a Taurus .44 with 8 3/8" barrel. I am having a problem finding the one that I want in .357. A GP100 is on my wishlist. I've since decided to expand my list.

I've got a handle on the cost of .357/.38 to reload and shoot. If I were to consider the .45LC, what kind of prices would I be letting myself in for? Also, in a revolver with 4-6" barrel, what kind of recoil level does the .45LC possess? Not just loaded down for plinking but store bought factory stuff.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
bout the same as it costs to load .45 ACP and recoil, is similar too.

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
Caliber wise, the cost will be about the same as JLA said about .45 ACP. About the same with .357 Mag.

Don't know your likes/dislikes, but when I went to .45 Colt, I really liked the "Cavalry Model" replica SAA. The balance and accuracy of that 7 1/2" barrel, combined with the butter smooth action sold me on it. Must have 10 different pistols (Colt, Beretta, Walthers, S&W, Ruger, Luger, etc) but by far that .45 Colt is my favorite shooter.

Cost was very little (Under $300 as I recall), but I got a great deal of quality. I'd stack it against any of my brand name handguns. Fit and finish are high quality. Must have over 1000 rounds thru it, and it shoots like a dream. That and .45 Colt is NOT a whimpy caliber. I never feel nekked carrying that weapon.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Caliber wise, the cost will be about the same as JLA said about .45 ACP. About the same with .357 Mag.

Don't know your likes/dislikes, but when I went to .45 Colt, I really liked the "Cavalry Model" replica SAA. The balance and accuracy of that 7 1/2" barrel, combined with the butter smooth action sold me on it. Must have 10 different pistols (Colt, Beretta, Walthers, S&W, Ruger, Luger, etc) but by far that .45 Colt is my favorite shooter.

Cost was very little (Under $300 as I recall), but I got a great deal of quality. I'd stack it against any of my brand name handguns. Fit and finish are high quality. Must have over 1000 rounds thru it, and it shoots like a dream. That and .45 Colt is NOT a whimpy caliber. I never feel nekked carrying that weapon.
If I go .45LC, it will definitely be a cowboy styled traditional gun. I've looked at a couple Uberti models with 5" barrels and a nice case hardening. I just want to make sure I'm not thinking about a caliber that will be expensive to reload for or uncomfortable to shoot. I know factory loads are more than .45ACP but the brass and lead bullets should be reasonable.

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts

·
Super Moderator
47,674 Posts
If you load for the .45 ACP, you already have the bullets to load in the .45 Colt. I have been loading a 200 grain bullet from Missouri Bullets into both the ACP and Colt and both work well. Been using 6.6 grains of Titegroup for the Colt and shoot it in both a Vaquero and a Judge. It is very manageable in both guns.

I have hundreds of Berry's 230 grain round nose bullets for the ACP. I just started playing around with trying out a load for them in the Colt. The Lyman manual has a load for a 230 grain lead bullet that I will use for the plated Berry's bullets that I have.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
George is right. To load Bullets intended for the ACP into your colt revolver ctg. all you need to do is seat them a tad deeper and crimp just over the bullet ogive

·
Registered
70 Posts
Reloading costs between ACP & LC run about the same.
The Ruger Vaquero & New Vaquero are the Work Horses in SASS & CAS.
A lot of folks use Ubertis & Taylors ,but the Rugers Out number them.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
From a practical standpoint, it would be the .357. The .44 and .45LC are in the same basic big bore catagory, and I've always said if you don't have a .357, your collection (or armory) is incomplete.
The .357 mag is a great all around caliber in a good gun.
And that's from a .45LC guy.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
I would buy the Ruger .45LC. Load it up, +P, for serious shooting! Load it down for plinking. Not much difference in the cost of components for reloading either caliber. I like big bullets! http://www.chuckhawks.com/high-pressure45.htm

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
I bought one of the original series Ruger Vaqueros, 7 1/2" .45 Colt etc., reasoning the heavier frame could easily digest Buffalo Bore hunting rounds, and would be fun to plink with using cowboy action loadings. It was one of my better decisions, and I love the revolver. About a year later a virtually mint 4 5/8" barrel example, also in .45 Colt, surfaced at our local gun shop, so it too now resides in our safe. Haven't investigated the possibilities just yet, but have thought of asking Ruger if spare .45acp cylinders can be fitted for both. The shorter barrel Vaquero is my carry gun in a crossdraw holster when we're out berry picking, hiking, or if I'm wandering up the road to our mailbox when the local bears are beginning to stir - which is pretty much right now.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Here are some stats that might surprise you! From 3 ammo makers known for hot rounds.
Doubletap .45LC+p (255gr) 1450fps/1191ft,lbs---.44 Rem Mag (240gr) 1455/1129.

Buffalo Bore .45LC+P (260gr) 1450fps/1214ft,lbs---.44 Rem Mag (255gr) 1350/1032---

Cor-Bon .45LC+P (265gr) 1350fps/1073ft,lbs---.44 Rem Mag (240gr) 1500/1200. seems pretty equal to me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the time being the decision has been made. I picked up a S&W 642-2 Performance Center Talo edition revolver. It is a .38 Spec+P. I bought dies, 500 once fired cases and 158gr SWC bullets. Still on the hunt for either a GP100 or S&W686+.

For only being a reloader for 3 months, I'm already up to 7 calibers. I think the .45LC will have to wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know I am a late comer to the forum and this thread but personally I would choose the 357/38 combo. It is easier on the wallet giving you 2 calibers for the price of 1. It is relatively easy to handload being a straight wall cartridge. I don't have a 45LC so I can't say much about it. When I wanted a Ruger Vaquero I chose a 5 1/2" Stainlees Steel model in 44 Magnum for the same reasons I chose a 357. I haven't been disapointed yet by either the 357 or the 44.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i reload both calibers and i can say this both have a place in any stocked gun house. I have loaded the 45LC with a very heavy load of 17 grains fo blue dot with a 240 JHP round. This is right at the limit of what it can handle for a caseing because of back pressure and they go in my .454 casuall rifle. The 45 LC Revolver i hold to around 6 grains of unique powder But with a 250 lead round the recoil is a little heavey even with a fairly light power charge out of a 4 3/4 barrel. the .357 is very versital if your going to reload right up to a good hunting round. I think the best hand gun round for hunting and ajustable sites is the speer 140 grain JHP in the .357. Since i own both a riflle and pistol that will shoot 45LC i am now looking for a .357 rifle but man they are hard to come a cross as a used firearm in good shape and in lever action.
bogdad5

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.