The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1st Lieutenant John Russell of the 45th Division brought home a Radom Vis 35 adorned with sweetheart grips. He was in the 45th Division 157th Infantry. He was twice wounded. The vet was at Anzio and was wounded in Italy and France. I've been reading a lot about the 45th And specifically the 157th Infantry. They saw tons of action and had many killed and wounded. When I received the Radom, I noticed 4 notches carved in one of the grips. Sure would be interesting to find out the story behind those. The family also gave me his belt buckle. What a grouping! This is the centerpiece of my collection.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory
Revolver Wood Air gun Gun barrel Trigger
Brown Sleeve Luggage and bags Beige Wood
Brown Bag Beige Luggage and bags Wood
Handwriting Font Rectangle Parallel Writing
Handwriting Font Material property Parallel Rectangle
Font Parallel Number Screenshot Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
In all my years, all the thousands of guns I've handled, owned, repaired, etc., I've never had one with capture/bringback papers. I am envious. I know a couple of collectors on another forum that only collect these kinds of firearms. Luck and deep pockets, have led them to some very interesting finds. That Radom is in that class, great find!
The closest thing to that one I own, are two handguns. One is a S&W Victory .38 with the rare NAVY marking. The good friend that brought me the deal, calls me 6 months later to tell me, the meth head son had more or less stolen it from his mother. My friend got me in touch with her so I could return it. We had a long talk about her Hellcat Pilot husband, and the service pistol he brought home after the war. She told me the gun was mine to keep, because she knew I would appreciate it, and it's history. My son knows the story on it, and knows it's on the list of guns to never sell.
The other is a P-08 Luger my uncle left to me. He flew B-17's in Europe, and B-29's in the Pacific, stationed in Japan right after the surrender. A GI that also served in both theaters, sold him the Luger for $25. His B-29 crew chief was dating the daughter of the Miroku Master Gunsmith. For the equivalent of $20, he jeweled all the internals, and did a mirror finish rust blue that would shame a Colt Python. Collector value, $0, to me, priceless, actually monetary value, ? I know to have this work done, would cost more than the same Luger in pristine condition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Im one of those collectors that specialize in bring backs. They are tough to find and have gotten very pricey recently.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Truly amazing piece!
I imagine the "sweethearts" on the grips were his wife and daughter.
The belt buckle is pretty cool too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts