The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 5.45x39 30 rd mag at a gun show by accident for my M400 in .556 the ammo fits(.223) but is a hair askew. i didnt want to find out at the range that this is a terrible idea. the mag fits perfect into the rifle so this is why i am asking.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I dont know what would happen if you used it. But you could load a few rounds in it and cycle the rifle yourself and see how it feeds. It won't be an exact representation of the rifle actually cycling when fired. But if its going to misfeed, I'd imagine that it would do it when you try to cycle it yourself. On the other hand, maybe you could buy a 223 follower and install it.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
I think you would have feeding problems with it. I had a 5.45X39 upper for a while but I never tried to see if it would work or not. The lower receiver would be the same for both 5.56 and 5.45 so the magazine would fit without any problem. If I were you, I would sell the magazine on one of the gun auction places to get your money back or even make a buck or two. I know a couple of folks who need a 5.45 magazine and cannot find them.

BTW, welcome to The Firearms Forum. I hope you stick around and not just do the one question and disappear game!!

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Post a 'for trade' message here in the forum in the for sale or trade section. You may find someone who will trade you a .556 for the .545 - A .556 follower may well do the trick but may not be worth both the effort and the expense to find out. I can call our local FFL who builds AR's and currently has a few under construction and ask him if he needs one - if he does I could trade you a .556 for it. I'm not optimistic about him needing a mag in that caliber though. Is it new in the package or used?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
i bought a 5.45x39 30 rd mag at a gun show by accident for my M400 in .556 the ammo fits(.223) but is a hair askew. i didnt want to find out at the range that this is a terrible idea. the mag fits perfect into the rifle so this is why i am asking.
How much would you want for them??
Some rifles will let them cycle some won't.
But the other way around 5.45x39 will cycle through most .223/5.56 mags.
I use my 100 rd beta mag for both.
5.45x39 in 100rd mag.

.223/5.56 in 100rd mag

1 - 6 of 6 Posts