The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just to make a comparison. My friend and I both had 22's when we were 14 YO. This was in 1958. We would collect bottles from along back country roads where the "Parkers" hung out and turn the bottles in at our local country store. We would carry in a burlap bag filled with bottles and get 2 cents for each bottle. 25 bottles would buy us a box of 50 .22 LR bullets. A lot of woodchucks and squirrels met their demise back in those days.
I wish I could buy a box of .22 LR ammo for what I could get for a deposit refund on 25 cans or bottles today. (going rate in my state is 5 cents each)
For those of you who don't know what a "Parker" is, send me a PM. LOL
Lynn

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Just got back from Wally Mart - I have truly NEVER seen the guns and ammo department so decimated! There were maybe half a dozen boxes of shotgun shells and one 50 round box of .40 and someone bought that one while I was looking. They also had eight long guns, I did not pay attention to what they were.
If you do pay attention to what's there you may get a heck of a deal when one is on clearance. You have to check Walmart's website to find out what they're getting rid of.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Scored at Wally World again today. They had 6 boxes of Winchester 555 .22LR on the shelf. That is honestly the most ammo I have seen on their shelf all at once in months. I grabbed 2 boxes for $22.86 each. Thats 4.12 cents a round. If all I needed was .22LR, I’d be pretty well set.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just a little over. Like $18.36 or something before tax.
I got $18.31 1/2, but considering how retail prices usually appear, I'm thinking $18.29. That would be 5.49+¢, or about 5.5¢ a round.
Nice score Willie (on the 555 round packs), but those prices...sheesh!
My kingdom for the days when they were a penny / round...I'd even be happy with 2¢ / round!

·
Banned
122 Posts
I have become a hoarder and make no apologies. I have kids and grand kids and great grandkids, that I give them to. I probably have more than I can shoot in my remaining years, but want them to enjoy shooting as much as they want, so if I get a shot at a couple bricks, I do not think twice. I do not pay scalper's prices, that is rewarding the jerks, so I just pounce when I see a fair deal.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My kingdom for the days when they were a penny / round...I'd even be happy with 2¢ / round!
I doubt we would ever see 2 cents a round again. Even before the COVID panic, 4.5 cents was about the cheapest I had found.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I doubt we would ever see 2 cents a round again. Even before the COVID panic, 4.5 cents was about the cheapest I had found.
Sadly, I'd have to say you're correct....just seems like for what you get, that's about what you should pay.

Two cents a round is like penny bubble gum. Not much chance.
....because you're too young to remember candy cigarettes, right?....right.

Reactions: Ranger4

·
Banned
122 Posts
Sadly, I'd have to say you're correct....just seems like for what you get, that's about what you should pay.

....because you're too young to remember candy cigarettes, right?....right.
LOL. Yep I remember them and the little cigarettes' you puffed on a little smoke like stuff came out. And bubble gum cigars
and Coca Cola that even had tiny amounts of cocaine in them, "zing what a feeling". And Nehi, RC orange cola for a nickel.
. And you can still buy those 5 cents ones, they are $15 now plus shipping, about $28, but 6 packs and 12 packs are a better deal.

I do recall growing up in the Texas panhandle and driving to town at age 13, yep 13. 22 lrs were 50 cents a box. Getting a box for Christmas was a big deal. For years I thought those Remington Golden 22 hollow points actually were gold plated. Still like them. Having 2 boxes would have been hoarding.

Ironically I can mold a bullet and load a trapdoor 45-70 round for about 15 cents or so and the brass seems to last forever at those levels. Value is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. When the primers run out them I am in trouble.

We seem to not appreciate what we have.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When the primers run out them I am in trouble.
Primers and the current cost of ammo are the reasons I have been trying to grab as much .22LR as possible. Also need to snag some more WMR for Wife’s revolver.

I’m also working on ways to rebuild primers in case it comes to that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
WillieB,

How's the situation with the .22 mags?
Are the prices way more than the LR's, or does it seem "proportionate"?
Also, what about availability?
I know they're not as common as LR's, but does it seem the Mag's are scarce too, or maybe about the same as before?

Reactions: Ranger4

·
Banned
122 Posts
Primers and the current cost of ammo are the reasons I have been trying to grab as much .22LR as possible. Also need to snag some more WMR for Wife’s revolver.

I’m also working on ways to rebuild primers in case it comes to that.
WillieB,

I know they're not as common as LR's, but does it seem the Mag's are scarce too, or maybe about the same as before?
I have seen a few 22 mag at Walmart lately and at the same prices as before, just have to catch them there. I have 4 so, I bought them up a while back also. I just got an email from Sportsman's out door superstore. They have S and B 45 auto ball for $45 a box. Even at that price it will be gone soon if not already.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
WillieB,

Around here, .22WMR/MAG is a lot more scarce than .22LR. I know where I can go if I were desperate for some but he would only have 2 or 3 boxes of CCI at most. His prices would be normal though. I see it once every other blue moon in Wally World and their price is similar. It’s just rare to see it there. I haven’t been too concerned with the WMR since my wife’s little SA revolver is the only gun we have that shoots them and it also has the LR cylinder. However, it would be good to grab a few more next chance I get.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
You're still paying 2-3 cents a round-your money is'nt worth anything so inflation...I'm down to 25rds a day with .22-suppressed 8" Charger.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just got an email from Sportsman's out door superstore. They have S and B 45 auto ball for $45 a box. Even at that price it will be gone soon if not already.
:oops: ...dang! :oops:

Around here, .22WMR/MAG is a lot more scarce than .22LR. I know where I can go if I were desperate for some but he would only have 2 or 3 boxes of CCI at most. His prices would be normal though. I see it once every other blue moon in Wally World and their price is similar. It’s just rare to see it there. I haven’t been too concerned with the WMR since my wife’s little SA revolver is the only gun we have that shoots them and it also has the LR cylinder. However, it would be good to grab a few more next chance I get.
Ok, I was thinkin'....'cuz everyone's "LR crazy" so the mags (when you can find them) fly under the radar.
Cool. Nice to know the hoarders aren't scooping up everything.
Thanks. 👍

·
Super Moderator
40,859 Posts
I've been looking for .22 Magnum and the last I found was in September when I was on my way home from the TN TFF gettogether. I stopped at a Sportsman's Wearhouse (I think that's what it was) in Asheville and paid something like $14 for a box of 50 CCI Maximags. Was only allowed to buy 2 boxes, but I had Joe (accident) and my grandson with me so I got 6 boxes. I see them every day on ammoseek.com but I will go without before I pay those prices.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I was in Tyler, TX yesterday Christmas shopping. Stopped in Superior Outfitters just to see what they had. Their ammo shelves were virtually bare, except for 7 boxes of S&B 9mm, FMJ. No outrageous markup, $20/box of 50. Bought 3 boxes for my BIL. Talking to the guy at checkout, said they had gotten 3 pallets the morning before, and that was all they had left.

·
Banned
454 Posts
I've been looking for .22 Magnum and the last I found was in September when I was on my way home from the TN TFF gettogether. I stopped at a Sportsman's Wearhouse (I think that's what it was) in Asheville and paid something like $14 for a box of 50 CCI Maximags. Was only allowed to buy 2 boxes, but I had Joe (accident) and my grandson with me so I got 6 boxes. I see them every day on ammoseek.com but I will go without before I pay those prices.
A few days ago, I picked up a 125 round box of CCI 22 Maxi-Mags at Wal-Mart.. Price was $21 and some change. Limit was one box.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts