5 good ar 15's

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by greggs, Mar 18, 2016.

1. jsjj388

jsjj388 Well-Known Member

HICKTOWN (AKA HAMPTONVILLE), NORTH CAROLINA
    A clean kill has very little to do with caliber choice but a lot to do with shot placement. Though I can say that I once shot a deer in the hind quarters with my .223 and he bled out in 25 yrds.

greggs likes this.
  2. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Still being done today too. But that's not the caliber of rifle, or pistol, that I would choose for hunting deer. There are better calibers out there. Do a little youtube search, and you will find some who are planning to use, or have used, a wrist rocket to hunt deer with. They shoot up to 500 grain lead balls, and bullets. Will a well placed shot to the head kill a deer? I'm sure it would, but I want something that I know will work, time after time.

greggs likes this.

3. jsjj388

i too want something that produces one shot kills everytime. hints why i use the .223

greggs likes this.
  4. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

OK.

greggs likes this.
  5. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Not trying to be smart but if the 223 is the laser of death why are you searching, in another thread, for a better load after all these years. You like the AR platform, I get that. You state you want to build/get another AR in another thread...ok...... Instead of trying to find heavier loads for the 223 why not make your next AR something with a bit more punch. 6.8 SPC, 300 blackout................

greggs and carver like this.
  6. SkeeterDope

SkeeterDope Well-Known Member

I've got my AR up for sale as of today, not that have anything against it as I know full well the capabilities and have proved them I need to fund another project. I picked up a Mossberg MVP bolt in .5.56 today I look forward to murdering lots of whitetale & hogs this year with it to fill the freezer.

greggs likes this.
  7. STAYFROSTY

STAYFROSTY Active Member

I have second hand knowledge of this, from the firsthand experience(r). Stories told many a times over thanksgiving dinner!

carver and greggs like this.
  8. jsjj388

while my current loads work great, if there is something i can do to make them better then why not? I was previously stuck with factory loads but now I am reloading so I am trying different things. And also my AR has a 1:7 twist whereas my other is a 1:12 so need heavier bullets.

greggs likes this.