54 cal. Sile Sharps paper cartridge

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by osbod007, Apr 12, 2017.

1. osbod007

osbod007 New Member

Had mine for nearly 40 years, just another toy but it is fun to take out and launch some big chunks of lead out of occasionally. Linen paper soaked in saltpeter, dried, cut, rolled on a wooden dowel, mated with muselage glue, stuffed with a 405 gr maxi in one end backed by 80 grains of FFG or Pyrodex and twisted closed. Has anyone tried any other loading? I've been wondering of the possible use of Triple 7 or Trail Boss or? Information is kind of sketchy.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I had a paper cutter but I didn't go to all that trouble making cartridges. When I bothered with cartridges I just rolled a piece of wrapping paper around a dowel, filled it with 80 grains of Swiss and a 490 grain ring tail bullet and dip lubed it. I couldn't stand using Pyrodex because of the slow fire and I imagine T7 would be worse and under no circumstances would I use Trail boss.

sharps4590 and jim brady like this.

3. osbod007

osbod007 New Member

I've never had an issue with it lighting up the Pyrodex. Probably stick with it as it has far less fouling and improved multi-shot accuracy. I need to do more research.

4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Comparing anything to original black powder has always disappointed me as far as performance and crudding up the barrel like Pyrodex. As far as using anything other than Pyrodex as a 'substitute' for black powder - I'd be AWFULLY careful about doing that.

Might sound kind of simple, but I say 'If it's made for black powder - USE black powder'. Don't monkey around with swapping powers types. That is, unless of course, the Good Lord gave you an extra set of fingers and eye balls you wouldn't mind not having attached as-is.

I make cartridges for .58 CW muskets much the same as you describe. Its a lot of work, but I enjoy doing things like they used to be done. You can't exactly just walk into your local hardware store and ask them "gimme some cartridges for this here rifle gun". Keep up the good work!

joe45c and crystalphoto like this.
  5. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Absolutely under no circumstance use Trail Boss in your Sharps unless or until you convert it to use center fire cartridges.

Pyrodex will work OK if you can't get real black powder and I've used 777 in caplock rifles with decent results but the only thing that has ever been used in my Sharps is 2F black.

6. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I use a lot of Pyrodex but my Sharps always sounded like a poorly timed flintlock with it. Ignition with Swiss was instantaneous.

7. osbod007

osbod007 New Member

O..K..A..Y.... Interesting responses.
    Just personal experience, at 75yds. With BP I get 3 shots in the center 6" of the pie plate and the 4th and onward are off the plate. With Pyrodex I can hit the plate with 9 consecutive shots... just my experience...and no ignition problems.
    I didn't mention that when I push in the paper cartridge and close the breach it cuts off the back of the cartridge and exposes the powder to the flash hole. Works for me.

8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Your accuracy difficulties with real BP sound like a fouling issue. BP fouling accumulates if the bullet being used doesn't carry enough lube and eventually even if it does. To maintain accuracy in any BP firearm one has to manage the fouling. No question Pyro-stuff fouls less so if you're happy with it and getting good ignition and accuracy I'd say stay right there. Even in a double barrel shotgun with nearly in line nipples I couldn't get dependable, consistent ignition with Pyro-stuff. More often than not it was as Hawg described. Even though so many others have good results with Pyro-stuff, as with yourself, I never could get it to work and despise it when the real thing simply works better for me and, is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Hodgon would never answer my queries about using T-7 in my 500 BPE so I would be reluctant to try it in your Sharps. It does generate higher pressures. As mentioned by Griz I wouldn't consider Trail Boss in a BP rifle. I believe a fella would be asking for trouble.

The paper cartridge Sharps all cut off the rear of the cartridge if the cartridges are made correctly which obviously you're doing. The top, front edge of the breech block was so designed. In many circles they're alluded to as "paper cutters" for obvious reasons. Cool rifles! Good to hear your results are so good!!

9. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Sounds like not enough lube or whatever lube you're using isn't working if fouling is affecting accuracy that bad. At 75 yards all your shots should be touching or close to it. Like Sharps said all paper cutters cut the tail off the cartridge but even if I used loose Pyro it still had a definite hesitation between the cap firing and the main charge. With my dip lubed ring tails lube was not an issue.

[​IMG]

sharps4590 likes this.