6.5 Grendel or 6.8 Rem SPC

Discussion in 'AR 15 Forum' started by JRK57, Mar 16, 2018.

1. JRK57

JRK57 Member

I have an AR-15 Lower Reciever, parts kit, buffer tube, etc. Now I'm trying to decide on which caliber to go with. I've read good things about both rounds (6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 spc). I was initially going with the Grendel, but am a little uncertain now.

I plan on using it to shoot medium size game (Deer, Hogs, Catalina, etc.).

I'm planning going Johnny Cash style on this, "One piece at a time!" So it will be over the course of the year before I'm finished with it.

So here's the question.

If you could only build one AR-15 and you had to choose between the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 SPC. Which would you choose, and why?

2. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

If I could only build one, I would go with a 300 Blackout. ;)
    But I did go with the Grendel on my last build simply because it was a bit cheaper to build. I don't think there is a significant difference in performance.

3. JRK57

JRK57 Member

I already have a 300 blackout, which is a very good gun for 100-150 yards.

I'm looking to add to my arsenal, with something that is a little more accurate out to 200-250 yards, with out going to a 6.5 creedmore yet.

4. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

If cost is a factor, use that as you think about: Balistics between the two aren't all that much different. But as new match bullets roll out, that could change. I don't hunt so the round type at distance might be your influential nudger. Look for which ammo is the most prevalent in your local area as well as on the web. If reloading, look at cost of components. I haven't looked, but if there is a parent to either, and you think you might want it as well, then that might influence the dynamics (ie 308 necks down to 7-08).
    -
    I have a 7-08, so I really don't need the 6.5 creedmoor. The ballistics aren't enough of a difference for my shooting to care about. The 7-08 reloading components are way less than the 6.5cm. But I bought a 6.5cm. I bought a 308 because I could neck down the brass for my 7-08. I have like so many on this forum has, a logical reasoning skill just to get another gun. So don't do as I do....

5. JRK57

JRK57 Member

It's not really a cost factor, since I'm going to space out the purchases. The 6.8 spc barrel seems a little more popular on gun mfg sites. (I want a quality barrel & trigger) So I was looking at YHM, Daniel Defense, or RRA sites for the barrel purchase. If there are other sites that sell good quality barrels that others have had good success with then I'm open to those suggestions.

I've been tossing around a 7-08 for a while now as my next bolt action, or maybe lever action gun. The 6.5cm I was thinking of in an AR-10 platform, either building one or just purchasing the Savage MSR Hunter.

6. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member Supporting Member

My buddy and I are still working on a 6mmx39 and trying to blow the case out(1mm) a little and go to 42....as in 6x42......just looking for a fun and accurate 500 yarder, call us bored..........since we are not real fans of the AR10 yet, god help us if he changes horses in mid stream...........barrels ain`t cheap when they are reamed for the odd balls and yes that includes us........odd balls that is.

Kvasir likes this.
  7. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

If you can access a copy of December 2012 Shooting Times, they have an in depth article comparing the Grendel to the 5.56NATO, the 6.8SPC, the .300BLK and the 7.62NATO rounds. The Grendel and the 6.8SPC are almost neck and neck out to about 400 yards with bullets of a very similar velocity and weight. After 400 yards out to 1000 yards the Grendel retains more velocity, retains more energy, and has less drop and wind deflection. In a graph the Grendel with a bullet weighing 108 grains with a B.C. of .465 at 2500 fps at the muzzle v/s the SPC with a bullet weighing 115 grains with a B.C. of .325 at 2670 fps at the muzzle, the Grendel outperforms the SPC.

8. JRK57

JRK57 Member

Thanks I'll look for that article. That was the information I was looking for.

Thanks again for the help in making this decision. I'll probably go Grendel

9. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I personally took a nice doe at 310 with my 16" 6.8. That was with 110 V-max over H335 using a barrel, bolt and linear from arperformance.com

JRK57 likes this.
  10. JRK57

JRK57 Member

Thanks, I’ll check that website out!

11. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Correction
    Www.ar15performance.com

Harrison Beene is the owner. Do NOT mention Alexander Arms if you talk to him. It's like Chevy and Ford or Hatfield's and McCoy's. Both places really know their stuff

12. JRK57

JRK57 Member

Midway has a sale on the 6.5 Grendel barrel and hand guard that I had in my wish list. 6.5 it is!

13. bullpupsks

bullpupsks Member

Just make sure to purchase the matching bolt for that barrel. There is type 1 and a type II.

14. JRK57

JRK57 Member

Yes sir, both match

Thanks for the heads up

15. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

I finally got out to the range to fire my Grendel build for the first time.
    I was pretty happy. The first 20 rounds grouped under an inch at 50 yards. Then the groups actually got tighter moving back to 100 yards.
    Sadly I had other obligations, and didn't get the scope or gas block dialed in. That will be the next trip.