6.5x284 Conversion on Swedish Mauser

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/23/02 9:47:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 6.5/284 win in a 96 swede??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Any opinions on rechambering a swede mauser to a 6.5/284 win wildcat. The action should be long enough. Will the bolt face need to be changed? What about the rails and magazine? Any comments about attempting to use the swede military barrel? What about going to a 6.5 on a WSM? Thanks in advance for the help.
    swede
    Wyoming Swede

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/23/02 10:21:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 6.5/284 win in a 96 swede??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That would be better suited on a 1910 Mexican action that an 1896. I know of some 6.5x284 conversions that have been done with the '96, and successfully used the original barrel and bolt (only .007" difference in bolt face), HOWEVER, it is not a conversion that I would do in my shop.

The 6.5x284 is going to have case capacity similar to the 6.5/'06, and that cartridge really shines when loaded to 3000 fps and above which is simply not wise in that platform.

In short, yes it can be done. But... in order to maintain safe working pressures for that action you will not be using anywhere near the potential of the cartridge.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/24/02 8:22:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 6.5/284 win in a 96 swede??
    I have talked to some guys from Sweden and they tell me that their routine factory ammo is hotter than the max loads here. They say that the action was prooftested much higher than regulation at the factory.
    I appreciate the info Doc. I wonder just how much of those manuals are product liability inspired. I saw a guns & ammo where it took 10 grains over max to blow the swede action.
    I wont do this because better safe than sorry...you cant see with a glass eye. swede
    Wyoming Swede

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/25/02 12:07:44 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 6.5/284 win in a 96 swede??
    I understand, but there are just too many published recommendations not to exceed typical 6.5x55 pressures. My insurance company would send Guido out to 'have a talk...'

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/25/02 8:17:21 am)
    I have to agree with the Dr., the Swede is a great action but much better to be safe than sorry. I had a customer to drop off a nice custom 95 mauser the other day that he inherited from his father-in-law. It is however chambered for the 22-250. I am going to advise him to hang it on the wall or rebarrel to a more appropiate round. Not a conversion I would do in my shop nor will I shoot one under any circumstance. Might never have a problem but, if it does, it could be disasterous for all concerned. IMHO. Ol' John

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/25/02 7:08:04 pm)
    Well, most assuredly, all of you remember my infamous trial with the mismatched 6.5x.257 Ack Imp that was actually barreled by the smithy with a .257 barrel. If you recall, I swaged .264 bullets down the .257 bore for the better part of 2 years before finally slugging the bore and mic'g the thing.

That Swede action (Mod 38 made by Husquarvarna in 1941) withstood that overpressure abuse for all that time and never missed a lick. It has the proper diameter barrel now (at the smithy's cost) and works just fine and dandy, thank you!

I'm not advocating the knowingly violating the pressure limits, just adding my experience with one strong rifle action.

Swede - you'd most definetely have to open up the rails to accomodate the wide body of the .284 Win case. You'll lose magazine capacity, also. Sometimes, the extractor hook has to be touched up a bit to accomodate the different rim thickness and angle of cut on the cartridge base.

If you use real slow burning powder to satisfy case capacity, the extra high pressure limitations could be negated. I find most large body 6.5's have a preference for anything from IMR 4831 and slower, anyway.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/25/02 11:31:15 pm)
    What about re-heat treating the action??? Is that feasible?
    Any idea as to cost or who could do this type of work?? Thanks swede
    Wyoming Swede