6.5X55 ?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by mudman35962, May 5, 2020.

1. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

looking at the SimpsonLTD site and saw quite a few 6.5 X55 by Husqvarna and Gustaf. looked in COW page 494 and wow this looks like a interesting caliber. any one have experience with it?

rick

shootbrownelk likes this.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

3. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I don't know very many people who don't have experience with the 6.5X55 cartridge.
    It used to be Sweden's number one moose cartridge years ago.
    At one time the 6.5X55 was one of Europe's top target cartridge.

Do I really need to go on?

jwdurf, shootbrownelk, SilasW and 5 others like this.
  4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

It's everything the creedmoor wants to be. Of all the 6.5's out there it is probably really the best balanced of them all. If chambered in a modern rifle you can load it above what the CM is. In the '96 Mausers you need to stay with the book loads. I've had 3, an original '96 Swedish Mauser, one of those '96 Mauser's that Kimber remodeled into a sporting rifle and a Model 70 Featherweight push feed. For selling the latter I should have my head examined. It reached a high state of development as a target round in the Scandinavian countries. Loaded with Hornady's 160 gr. round nose or one of the European 156 gr. round nose I would gleefully use it on anything on the North American continent, save the big Brown Bears or the Polar bear....but the Scandinavians had no reservations about taking on Polar bears with it. I still want another and I have a perfectly fine 6.5 X 54 Mannlicher/Schoenauer....but it isn't quite the cartridge the Swede is.

jwdurf, shootbrownelk, SilasW and 5 others like this.
  5. mudman35962

HIGH praise! thanks

rick

shootbrownelk and howlnmad like this.
  6. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My first deer rifle. Carl Gustav "sporterized" by a misguided teenager 60 years ago. Good cartridge; has accounted for a number of deer and hogs with a 160 grain Hornady roundnose or 156 grain Norma Alaska bullet over a starting load of RX22. Can't figure out what the newer 6.5s (including the much-touted Creedmore) can do that it can't beyond fitting in short actions.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  7. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

To add to sharps4590 praise of the 6.5X55 I will say that when I sold my shop I kept only a few gunsmithing tools.
    I kept everything I had for the 6.5X55 in both military configuration and custom building.
    This would include gages, reamers, sight jigs and tools most gunsmiths have never even heard of. I even have a set of custom made reciver bridge crushers (that's to remove bolt slop) I even have a few militay (new-never used) barrels made for the 139gr target rounds.

Why did I keep all this stuff ? The answer is if I live long enough, I want to build custom rifles for my grand kids. And those rifles will be in 6.5X55.

8. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you want to adopt little older, left-handed grandkid, I'm available :D

9. sharps4590

I never could buy into that whole short action thing anyway

jwdurf, shootbrownelk, SilasW and 2 others like this.
  10. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

I am considering the Carl Gustaf CG63 in 6.5x55. It will probably be my next purchase after my horse trip.

shootbrownelk, SilasW and sharps4590 like this.
  11. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I'm on my third. Two Mod 96 mauser's and now a mod 70 featherweight. You couldn't get my mod 70 away from me.

sharps4590 likes this.
  12. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

If you are going to buy one and have a choice then look for one that has a Elit diopter sight.
    There are two other sights that are found on this rifle , but in my op. the Elit diopter sight is the best one. Also if you can find this rifle with a Schultz & Larsen (rare ) stamped barrel then you have the best that they made.
    Note. Schultz & Larsen used to make barrels for Anschutz.

13. mudman35962

why wait? have it drop shipped to my address.

14. sharps4590

You know what a fool I was!!

shootbrownelk likes this.
  15. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Swedes were light years ahead with the 6.5, bullets had one of the highest BC, and their military ammo was never corrosive primed. Handloads for something like a 98 Mauser or Mod70 action, can hang right up there with any of the newer 6.5's too.