The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Very cool Grizz - you'd make Simo Häyhä proud of you and he was the most famous sniper in history using that very same rifle no less!

Not sure if I can explain how to pronounce his last name. 'ä' is pronounced like the short 'a' in 'cat'. 'y' is pronounced with an 'eu' sound. I lived in Finland for 23 years and am fluent in the language and my wife is Finnish. The Finnish language is quite an unusual language.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Awesome! I'm taking a Hungarian M44 and a 1943 Izhevsk that I built from parts out tomorrow, but no 600 yard shots for these old eyes, plus the only way I can set out a target that far would be down the highway, we had to carve out 100 yards with a chainsaw as it was.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Very nice shooting, my fiancee's 15yo son has a M-N and now he want's to see if he can do it. He'll have to work his way out to 600 though, it won't be as easy as he thinks or as you made it look.;):) gotta find a range over 300 too :D

·
Premium Member
19,873 Posts
Very good. I know I couldn't do that with a scope.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice shooting, my fiancee's 15yo son has a M-N and now he want's to see if he can do it. He'll have to work his way out to 600 though, it won't be as easy as he thinks or as you made it look.;):) gotta find a range over 300 too :D
That's pretty cool! My first time trying 600 yards I was all over the place, must have sent 20 rounds down and not 1 hit, and the target was twice the size! After practicing at closer distances you get more comfortable, and take it a little further in steps. I literally thought 600 iron sights was a no go for the Mosin last year. Thanks for the comment!

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
Wish we had a 600 yard target line here, but the furthest stretch at the city's rifle range is about 175-200 yards as near as I can estimate, and behind that is a mountain. I have a Finnish Mosin 28/30 that's a tack driver, but have been limited to putzing at the distances noted above. Won the rifle in a charity auction a few years back.

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
Very cool Grizz - you'd make Simo Häyhä proud of you and he was the most famous sniper in history using that very same rifle no less!
Once had the opportunity to do some reading about this remarkable man, and as best I recall he never used a scope - strictly iron sights. Amazing.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
That's some good shooting! Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once had the opportunity to do some reading about this remarkable man, and as best I recall he never used a scope - strictly iron sights. Amazing.
Yeah this guy was hard core to the bone! He would pat down the snow so it wouldn't give a signiture from the muzzle blast. He hated scopes because they were easy to fog up in the cold. He was a true legend!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Always enjoy these videos. I haven't stretched mine out yet but I will this summer. The range I go to is 100 yds plus you can gain more by shooting up the hill. I was at the range 1 day and a dad had his 11 yrold kid there shooting a 22 with a scope. He was shooting at 30 yrds, and I asked if he wanted to shoot my chineese 53. He was trying to decide which target to shoot at. I told him to shoot at the 1 1/2 inch stake that was at 100 yrds. He looked at me like I was crazy. 1st 2 shots he missed by alittle 3rd he nailed it and hit it a few more times after that. 2 things I like about ranges is letting people shoot my Mosins and when they ask what on earth are you shooting.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
note to self;

buy a mosin and forget what friends say

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Wish we had a 600 yard target line here, but the furthest stretch at the city's rifle range is about 175-200 yards as near as I can estimate, and behind that is a mountain. I have a Finnish Mosin 28/30 that's a tack driver, but have been limited to putzing at the distances noted above. Won the rifle in a charity auction a few years back.
Our range here is 400. it is fun to take the garand out send a few down range.

I would like to get to shoot at 600+ yards someday

·
Registered
840 Posts
It would be a bit of a drive from FW but Top Gun range just south Leonard on SH78 has 500 yards.

From their sight rules:
17. To shoot at 200 yards you must be able to put 3 out of 3 shots into a 3 inch group at 100 yards. To shoot at the 300 yd target you must be able to hit the metal plate 2 of three 3 shots at 200 yards. To move from 300 to 400 and 400 to 500 yard targets you must hit the steel swingers 2 out of 3 shots. For calibers under 300 win mag. For larger calibers you must be able to put 2 out of 3 shots into a minute of angle group at each distance on paper out to 400 yards.
http://www.topgunshootingclub.com/

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,084 Posts
Sweet shooting, Grizz! I'm not sure I can still see 600 yards away without glasses and a scope. I took out my new BLR today and had trouble hitting a 3" target at 100 yards with iron sights, though the 50 yard range wasn't too hard to hit.

Nice work, Dude!:D

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweet shooting, Grizz! I'm not sure I can still see 600 yards away without glasses and a scope. I took out my new BLR today and had trouble hitting a 3" target at 100 yards with iron sights, though the 50 yard range wasn't too hard to hit.

Nice work, Dude!:D
Thanks rawright, I really appreciate the comment!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts