The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
41,400 Posts
Man, that is an impressive read!! I'm feel mighty lucky to get eight rounds in a black 8 inch target at 50 yards!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I wonder what angle the pistol is held at when going for 600 yards... like 30-45 degrees? lol

230gr'ers going 900 FPS are going to want to drop like a cannonball. Plus a bad ballistic coefficient. That's pretty remarkable to make such a shot.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I wonder what angle the pistol is held at when going for 600 yards... like 30-45 degrees? lol

230gr'ers going 900 FPS are going to want to drop like a cannonball. Plus a bad ballistic coefficient. That's pretty remarkable to make such a shot.
And to do it 8 out of 10 times?????????

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can't even imagine trying to dope the wind for a .45 slug meandering downrange...

OK, fifty clicks right, forty two clicks up...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Over the years I have learned to shoot my 1911 out to 100 yards with consistency. But 600? I would try it but imagine a whole new learning curve.

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
I don't think I could see the target at 600 yards.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The only thing I can figure the shooter was a "natural" marksman or one who has boucou pistol firing experience like thousands of rounds every year since he/she was a wee bern.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I regularly shoot my 1911s at 200 yds.. The dope required is crazy. I suppose its possible but Im kinda not buying it.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Very very cool. I think at 600 yards I could maybe hit a bus with 2 out of 10 shots and off the shelf ammo with my 1911 - maybe......

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
I regularly shoot my 1911s at 200 yds.. The dope required is crazy. I suppose its possible but Im kinda not buying it.
I don't know Josh, I am thinking it could be done. I took a pot shot at a running coyote at 300+/- yards with my SpringfieldXD 45. I tried to hold about 12" high and I hit just above his hind quarters at about 1" high. The Hornady ballistics calculator show's that at 600 yards you would need to hold 40.1" high.

I am going to try it next time out.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Very very cool. I think at 600 yards I could maybe hit a bus with 2 out of 10 shots and off the shelf ammo with my 1911 - maybe......
Thats about what I am thinking. The target would have to be the size of a bus for me to see it at that distance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
OK...the target was 6 feet by 6 feet and the bull was 36".....it was a standard 600 yard highpower rifle target.

I have seen, but never shot at this target at that distance.
It is quite easily visible.

But, even though this guy was shooting +P the trajectory was like a rainbow.
A mortar team would come in handy.

But.....here's my big but......I would never have believed someone could hit 18 inch steel plates at 100 yards with a two inch .38 Special 6 out of 6 until I watched my buddy do it repeatedly. :)

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Just about the time you start to think you are pretty hot stuff, you read something like this - -

Humbling.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well tried this today slightly windy used a 24 steel square hanging plate. At 400 yards I fired 10 mags got two hits three if the little rub on the right side was counted. At 600 I fired 25 mags got ONE hit upper right of the square. I did not hear the hit nor did I see the plate swing. But it had a splat on it. 1 out of 200 at 600 yards not really a stellar performance but one hit is a hit. Also have no idea if that was the first last or what shot in between. Did kick up dust in front and behind the plate though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts