The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about crimping, I have a taper crimp die for 223 but i'm not sure if I should use it on these bullets(69gr sierra match king). I will be using in an AR.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
yes crimp. always crimp for autoloaders

·
Registered
8,841 Posts
I haven't shot the 69 gr Matchkings through my Rock River AR yet...

But I SLIGHTLY taper crimp all my .223 loads, including the 69 gr matchkings I tried through my Mossberg Predator, and they worked fine.

Except for the fact I can't FIND any more of them, :mad: I would shoot the same taper crimped rounds through my AR if I had any left.....

I taper crimp them all because of the fact both rifles feed through the same mags and I don't want any "set back" from recoil in the AR mags both use.

The ONLY rifle I do NOT crimp for is my Ruger M77 VR .220 Swift, which I have a "sled" installed so I use it as a single shot...I would crimp any round that I feed through a mag....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks, I'll use the taper crimp. I didn't think it would hurt anything but I thought I would ask first.

·
Super Moderator
28,132 Posts
I'd invest in a Lee Factory Crimp Die, it'll prolong the life of your brass.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd invest in a Lee Factory Crimp Die, it'll prolong the life of your brass.
I will second the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It's a true collet die that place a good collet crimp like most Mil ammo. I use a very very light crimp with the Lee FCD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts