The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
18,462 Posts

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
I'm looking at getting a light recoil rifle for the wife and was looking at a
7.62x39 any ideas? The other options are 243 or 7mm-08.
I have killed deer with the SKS, it is more than adequate for deer sized game. You just have to remember that it has limited range. 10 rd mag gives you the ability for a second quick shot if needed. I haven't needed a second shot. The other two calibers you list are good ones also, but recoil will be higher.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Just make sure, if you go SKS, that it's legal where you are.

10-round magazine in a semi-auto might be legal for deer in Louisiana, where Carver is, but it'll get you arrested in Florida. No more than five rounds in a semi-auto for deer hunting, here.

· Registered
19,355 Posts
I'm looking at getting a light recoil rifle for the wife and was looking at a
7.62x39 any ideas? The other options are 243 or 7mm-08.
if you like 762x39, have you looked at 300ACC 762x35

pretty much the same and better. thouhg you can get either chambering in an AR upper... add a 5rnd mag and optics and you have a good hunter or sport rifle at the range.

243 takes lots of deer. 7-0-8 will bust them plentyfine...

· Registered
19,355 Posts

10-round magazine in a semi-auto might be legal for deer in Louisiana, where Carver is, but it'll get you arrested in Florida. No more than five rounds in a semi-auto for deer hunting, here.
got a question... i know you can get 5 rnd detach mags for sks.

but is it legal just to put ( whittle a small wood wedge and slip in with mag box open, under follower? ) a blocking plug in a sks 10 rounder so it will only load 5? kind alike having the dowel rod in a mossberg 500 tube so it will only hold 3 ( waterfowl )?

And with that.. another question. say i want to take my circuit judge duck hunting ( why??? ) it's a 5 round revolver... it comes with an orange 2 round cyl safety plug. so if I have 3 shotshells and the 2 roun plug in the cyl when mr game warden walks over to find out whay some idiot is using a circuit judge to hunt with.. what's the legality there?

:)

· Registered
435 Posts
7.62x39 soft points work well on deer and pigs. FMJs not only not very good but also illegal.
Soundguy, you can modify the mag to make it legal, but it cannot be undone in the "field". That said, when I carried my SKS deer hunting in FL I talked to a couple of Fish and Wildlife guys and they never even askked to check my rilfe out, just checked my license.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Ducks fly too high. Use it for dove. Also a "migratory game bird" and therefore under the Federal "3-shot" rule.

:p :D

· Garandaholic
9,565 Posts

Am I missing something obvious? I've always wondered why some states limit the mag size on hunting rifles? Do they think I'm going to shoot extra deer because my gun has extra bullets? Don't you get a deer tag for one deer in most any state? Why not limit the mag to 1 bullet?

· Registered
19,355 Posts
you can modify the mag to make it legal, but it cannot be undone in the "field". .
when you say cannot be undone in the field.

do you mean that you must make the modification 'impossible' to remove in the field.. or it is illegal to remov ethe mod in the field. IE.. walking back to the truck and you pop the wood plug out before you toss the gun behind the seat.?

reason I ask, is plug removal on my mossberg is as simple as unscrewing a knurled nut onthe shotgun and pullinghte dowel rod out... tkes like 10 seconds.. :)

thus not impossible to remove in field.. simply illegal.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
I believe he is confused. As you say, unplugging a shotgun is simple. You must "disassemble it" - it's not as simple as removing the clip of an AR, but it certainly can be "undone" in the field.

Oh, and CCHolder, that "one deer limit" seems to be a "Northern thing". Florida limit is 2 a day, three possession limit. And with a season that lasts a couple of months, I could, theoretically, shoot 20 or 30.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
I think (and therefore could be completely wrong) that the magazine limit, on semis, is not so much "shoot deer after deer after deer", but more "blaze away at it, as fast as you can pull the trigger, 'cause you know you got 10 or 20 or 30 rounds". I believe they'd limit it to three, if they thought they could get away with it.

Think about it. With a bolt action, you shoot and miss, ol' deary deer is prob'ly done runned away before you can work the bolt. So you take a little more care with your aim. With an AK, with a 30-round magazine, if you miss and he starts to run, you can get five or six more shots of 'fore he gets outa sight.

They don't want that. Aside from the danger to other hunters, if your hunting plan is that sloppy, then there's a good chance of not killing it, but of hitting it and letting it run off to die in agony.

· Registered
19,355 Posts
I believe he is confused. As you say, unplugging a shotgun is simple. You must "disassemble it" - it's not as simple as removing the clip of an AR, but it certainly can be "undone" in the field.
so then.. would a wood plug under the follower of a otherwise higher than 5 capacity be mag be legal just the same? Even if you could remov ethe plug in the field.

Int he case of the sks, you'd have to pull the mag latch.. swing the box open exposing the folower and then remove the wood plug, then closeing it back up.. similarly on the shotgun I spoke of.. just unscrew the mag tube nut, jingle the dowel rod out and screw the nut back on.

both ops could be done in way less than a minute, no tools, anywhere.. etc..

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Don't know. I know of 30-round AR mags that are "blocked" to 5. I'm pretty sure it is not permanent. You can pull the floorplate, remove the block, replace the spring, put it back together and you've got your 30 again.

I'd ask Game and Fish, and get it in writing, if it was me.

· Registered
435 Posts
I believe he is confused.
No I am not, well at least not about this.
■Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds when hunting deer
Magazine may be modified to only hold 5 rounds but cannot able to be turned back into full compacity while in the field. A wood block is okay but it would have to be riveted or fastened in some other method that cannot be undone in the field.
Shot gun plug is a requirement of Federal Migratory game laws, not state law, and the dowl rod cannot be removed without removeing the barrel form the firearm. So if your dowl will come out the hole that the screw goes into the end of the mag tube, you can get in trouble.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.