The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just received some ammo from Sportsman Guide. 240 rds of 200 gr. match ammo.
corrosive, BUT, NO STEEL. A lot of ranges are getting picky about steel these days. Reviews are all very positive but have not shot any yet.
product code--wx2-227195

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been on the verge of picking up a Nagant as a project but for this very reason have be reluctant. The cost of fireable range ammo. Let me know how it goes at the range and I might have ot jump on a spam can myself at that price.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Yes, berdan primed but brass case and no steel in the bullet.
now if only berdan rimers were (easilly) available. at least with brass cased we could relaod them. I realize to deprime berdan is a chore .. but still.. :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
just received some ammo from Sportsman Guide. 240 rds of 200 gr. match ammo.
corrosive, BUT, NO STEEL. A lot of ranges are getting picky about steel these days. Reviews are all very positive but have not shot any yet.
product code--wx2-227195
Just in case you didn't know- amonia kills the corrosive salts in the primer. I use windex on patches several times, then clean it normally.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
i wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a bottle of cleaning amonia to patch with.. vs windex?

·
Registered
285 Posts
i wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a bottle of cleaning ammonia to patch with.. vs windex?
The cheapest thing to do is take an old spray bottle fill it about three quarters full with water and add a couple drops of dish soap to it and use that to clean after shooting corrosive ammo,wet patch it flush again then dry patch it and clean with your more expensive bore cleaners.

There isn't enough ammonia in a bottle of Windex to neutralize anything it's the water that does the trick by removing the salts. Ammonia is best used to remove copper fouling,I take a bottle of 10% Janitors strength ammonia and cut it 3 parts ammonia to 1 part K1 or just use it straight,it's the same as those high dollar copper bore cleaners.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
that's my point.. windex has so little amonia in it.. seems using 'cleaning' amonia would be mouch more effective..

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
When I was shooting crappy combloc,I just took off stock and washed in bathtub with dawn and very hot water....

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've had pretty good luck just using warm soapy water first to swab the bore, and then just clean as normal. I read where it is a salt like compound that is left over after the powder burns that is primarily due to the primer compound used. Kind of like when black powder burns... You just have to flush the salts off of the bore. I haven't seen any indication of corrosion or pitting yet...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts