The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small 22 cal 7 shot. The 2 pictures tell all I know. This seems to say COLT on the top of the barrel but really worn. History or date of manuf and value would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Looks to be a 7 shot .22 short or Long, Colt open top revolver, made from 1871 until the 1880's. Yours looks to be the later type with out an ejector rod. Flayderman's puts it at 200 in good. Boot gun? well I reckon it could be carried in a boot, be uncomfortable, actually it is just a small pocket gun. Hope that helps, if anyone else has info please chime in.:)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
You have Colt's 'Open Top Pocket Revolver' made 1871-77.

Flayderman's Guide lists value in Very Good condition of $200, but yours is in rough shape.

It should not be fired with current .22 ammo.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Maybe it is just a shadow, but that gun appears to have an ejector rod, and the second model has a differently shaped hammer.

That gun is also called the "Old Model" pocket revolver, but of course it wasn't called that until the "New Line" solid top revolvers came out. The front sight is missing and the "rear sight" has been filed in. IIRC, the rear sight was originally a notch in the hammer, like the percussion models.

IMHO, it might bring twice $200 today, but its defects would keep it from being a really desireable collectible.

Jim

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Jim, a photo of right side would confirm, but I think what you're seeing is the barrel muzzle's shadow where it extends over a fold in the cloth background, and the ejector would probably be partly visible in the top view shown.

Flayderman also indicates the high hammer spur and sloping spur were each found on both models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts