7mm-08 for elk?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

whoabill
    (1/15/03 5:10:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 7mm-08 for elk?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am looking at a 7mm-08 for colorado elk hunting. I am going for the first time this fall, and I want a gun that is capable of killing elk, but will work great on my missouri whitetail. Any experience of ballistic info will be greatly appreciated.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/15/03 6:18:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 7mm-08 for elk?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello, Whoabill -

Welcome to TFF board. Hope you will look around at all the other forums here and join us in the discussions.

As with all cartridges and firearms, well placed bullets of well built construction shot at proper distances will take just about any game you desire to hunt.

I personally know of people successfully using .220 Swift, .243 Win, .257 Rob'ts, etc to cleanly kill elk. All were master shooters, limited the range to the rifle and placed the bullets in very small killing areas. The last elk I shot was with one 162 gr Hornady bullet from a customized Mauser in 7x57 Ack. Imp.

Under the right conditions, your 7-08 using proper bullets would also do the trick.

If I were to select ONE caliber to hunt anywhere in the US for all normal big game, it would be the venerable old 30-06. The second to last elk I shot was downed with one 180 gr. Hornady Light Magnum bullet from a Model 70 Win in 30-06. This is the benchmark cartridge that all others are measure to, and for good reason - it has proven successful for 100 years now (1903 as the inception date).

If you insist on the 7-08, all I can advise is practice, practice, practice and to limit your range carefully.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/15/03 6:47:58 pm)
    Bill, the second paragraph of Ken's post really says it all and clearly. In 60 years of hunting deer and elk I have taken quite a few with the .223 and the .222. I just took my time, standing shots at close range, 8 power scope and shot them at the butt of the ear, or where the neck and head join. So it is really a matter of bullet placement. In spite of that, the 30-06 is my all around favorite. But with enough skill and practice, your 7mm will do just fine. I used a 7mm Mag in Montana for 29 years and took over 100 big game animals with it. I consider it second only to the 'o6. Jack in Oregon

whoabill
    (1/16/03 6:29:46 pm)
    Thanks for the advice! I have been doing some more research, and according to most of the info, 1500 ft lbs of energy is minimum at striking distance to kill elk. the 7mm-08 ballistic from remington and federal ammo, gives 1500 ft lbs at 250-300 yards. I am pretty sure I am going with the 700 mtn rifle (i have a 243 in it and love it) and using federal 140 grain nosler partition bullets. If i practice enough and limit my shots to under 250 yards (which should not be a problem in west centeral colorado) i think i will be fine. thanks again
    whoabill

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/16/03 10:46:03 pm)
    I agree with my good buddies Ken & Jack. You are somewhat undergunned for elk...however it is not what you shoot...its where you hit 'em.
    Get your practice rounds in...and go get 'em.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

lockedcj7
    (2/11/03 12:33:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Yes!
    I have a 7mm-08 in the 700 mtn rifle and is is my absolute favorite gun.

If I were going to hunt elk often, I might step up to a 30-06 but if whitetails are the main quarry and elk are only a sideline, the 7-08 is plenty. (it's ballistically identical to the .270win.)

Choose your shots wisely and stay under 250yds. Any of the really good bullets out there like the Nosler partition, Swift A-frame, Barnes-X, fail-safe, etc. should be fine.