The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

I just purchased this gun. I couldn't pass it up for the price (as you can see from one of the pictures. It is definitely NOT a 30-30 as stated on the tag. One of the pics is showing it as a 7mm (I am assuming Mauser). Can any of you give me an idea as what exactly this gun is?

I believe it is a 1916 Spanish Mauser

Attachments

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
This is a version of the classic M93 Spanish Mauser. I LOVE these fantastic little short rifles. Yours should be in the original 7X57 ("7 Millimetre") Mauser caliber. This cartridge whooped our arses in Cuba and the Philippines in the hands of the Spanish in the War of 1898 against our .30-40 Krags and single shot .45/70 Trapdoors.

This cartridge has likely taken a wider variety of game than any other on the planet. Some of the old African "white Hunters" even used it to take elephants. Fairly mild in recoil and deadly accurate. These days this cartridge is loaded way down for safety reasons, but it's still a dandy. If you happen to reload - this caliber likes anything between 139 and 175 grains. Some of the more blunt round nose hunting bullets may not feed well from the rifle's mag - they were meant for a pointed bullet.

You happen to have an identical twin of my very first high-power rifle. I paid a King's Ransom for mine ($15). If I could find another I'd snap it up. Congratulations!!!! A little TLC and some good gun oil - you will be in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts