7mm Mauser

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

ssurell
    (10/17/02 1:04:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 7mm Mauser
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've noticed while looking for ammo for my 8mm Mauser, that 7mm Mauser seems to be more common, at least there's usually a couple of types of bullets to choose from by manufacturers that bother to make Mauser ammo.

What rifles are chambered for this round? I have yet to see any for sale through the usual distributors.

How does the 7 compare with the 8?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/17/02 5:34:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 7mm Mauser
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 7mm Mausers were plentiful about 12 to 20 years ago - a lot of South American and Spanish Mausers were chambered in that caliber. The most common ones you encounter these days are the Spanish Model 1916 Mausers in 7mm - the ones that escaped being converted to .308 caliber.

Also, the FN49 rifle was chambered in 7mm for the Venezualan contract, if you run across any of those.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/17/02 12:46:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 7mm Mauser
    Several US manufacturers also chambered the 7x57, a fine hunting round. Ruger is one and Remington made a limited number of Classics in this chambering. Winchester will still chamber for custom guns.

US manufacturers still produce this ammo.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

ssurell
    (10/17/02 9:52:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del I want one:)
    They sound very collectible, and you can get just about any type off bullet in that calibre for reloading. I'm curious how the ballistic load data fares between the 7x57 and the 8x57.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/17/02 10:15:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I want one:)
    As you say, lots of bullet weights available in 7mm as compared to 8mm.

The 7mm's have better B.C. (ballistic coefficient) weight for weight as to the 8mm's, therefore, flatter shooting, higher velocities, better energy retention.

Believe me, a 7x57 is still a viable shooter today - many wildcats and some commercial variants are based on this cartridge (.257 Roberts, 6mm Remington) and lots of people (myself included) believe the 7mm is just about the ideal general hunting cartridge in the US for most game.

Heck, an ol' boy used one exclusively years ago to kill elephants!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Edited by: kdub01 at: 10/20/02 2:27:06 pm

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/20/02 8:55:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I want one:)
    I have a sporterized 7MM mauser (hacked severely) that I picked up cheap. It is a model 95 with the original barrel. The guy that I got it from wanted to make a varminter out of it and couldnt. Someday when I have time I will pretty it up.
    Point I want to make is that the older surplus rifles had about 1:9 1/2 twist (if I remember right.) I played with this rifle quite a bit too. (he threw in all the ammo he had left).
    with the surplus barrel it would keyhole and tumble any bullet I tried. Lousy six inch groups and bigger. I threw in a couple rounds of 175 gr roundnose. The thing shot like a laser beam, 1 1/2 inch groups w/open sights. It just liked the 175gr bullet it was designed for, and thats all I shoot in it when I use it.
    hope this might help...just my $.02 swede
    Wyoming Swede