The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member needs info. to identify and determine value of civil-war era 7mm pinfire pistol. I've found no identifying #'s or data on this small pistol- it has 3 1/2" double round bbls., engraved nickle-plated frame, fluted/engraved ebony grip with engraved nickel-plated end cap. The only info. I've seen on the internet describes a 7mm pinfire, double-barrell handbag pistol with a timber stock from England, circa 1860. The person I bought it from displayed it in a hand-made wooden box, claiming this civil-war era pistol, circa 1855.

Any info. to assist in further identification/value of this piece would be greatly appreciated. My experience/knowledge in firearms is in modern issues and the only reason I bought this at the time is that I was "drawn in" by the fact that it was civil-war era. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Most of the pinfire type you describe were made in Belgium and will have the ELG in an oval Liege trademark somewhere.

Although it could date from the US Civil War, it more likely is a bit later, and few pinfires were imported and used in the CW except for a few large 11mm revolvers.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
" durring the civil war era " Sorry, that is like saying " we went to diffrent high schools together":), mearns little except that it was made in the rought time frame as millions of other firerms were. As noted, double barrel small handguns were made in Europe ( Belgium and Spain were the main suspects ), and exported by the tens of thousands if not the hundreds of thousands. Pinfires went out of style in the late 1800's , however ammo was still produced untill the 1930's ( that;s how many were still around ). Pictures will be trquired to give any other valid informtion. Please post back so we can have a look at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts