The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 81 rounds in a box marked 8 x 57. Head stamp is 7.9/F.S./1951/TOC. I am told they are Turkish S cartridges. How do I dispose of them? Are they safe? And there are 4 Red rounds, rounded nose, and shorter with them head stamp 8 x 57 Mauser A-ZOOM.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
A-Zoom are dummy round snap caps.
The rest is Turk 8mm surplus loaded in 1951. It's good to shoot, I've shot Turk that was loaded in 1937. Caution though, Turks used a powder with a different burn rate than other surplus 8mm, don't shoot it in a semi auto, it beats the actions so hard it will do damage. In a bolt action, the only damage might be a bruise on your shoulder.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you wanting to sell them or pull the bullets to reload or what ?
I didn't know if they were worth more the shipping as the box weighs about 5lbs.I didn't to toss in garbage as it might get someone hurt. I have no firearms chambered for them.
A-Zoom are dummy round snap caps.
The rest is Turk 8mm surplus loaded in 1951. It's good to shoot, I've shot Turk that was loaded in 1937. Caution though, Turks used a powder with a different burn rate than other surplus 8mm, don't shoot it in a semi auto, it beats the actions so hard it will do damage. In a bolt action, the only damage might be a bruise on your shoulder.:)
I have no firearm chambered for them. They were part of an inheritance left from grandfather I forgot about.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Don’t toss them, someone wants them. Given the present state of affairs I am pretty sure throwing ammo away is now a “mortal sin”!:eek:

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
A while back surplus Turkish 8X57 was on the market and cheap. I bought about 6 bandoleers of it. It shot well, but was really dirty. I pulled it down, reloaded into Winchester cases with Remington primers and it shot well and clean burning. The primers seemed to have been the issue with it shooting dirty.

The powder they used was peculiar - it looked like metal flakes. I have no idea what it was. I just stripped them down and loaded them one-for-one with the original powder charge and bullets

Rob - whatever you do - don't just toss them. It is going to be a very long dry spell for ammunition. If you lived close to me I'd buy them. Someone near you will buy it from you. Not sure but I'd guess the "A-Zoom" are some off-the-wall rounds.

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
A-zoom are plastic snap caps. they ain't real cheap, either.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Where are you? If you are near someone, they will probably buy them. 8mm Mauser is a common Mil-Surp cartridge. Otherwise, carry them to the next gun show. Don't throw them away. If you are anywhere near East Texas, pm me.

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
Where are you?
As far as I can make out, near Dade City, FL. There is a gun show in Lakeland next weekend. If you were going to just throw them away, go over to the gun show and sell/give them to someone who would use them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I can make out, near Dade City, FL. There is a gun show in Lakeland next weekend. If you were going to just throw them away, go over to the gun show and sell/give them to someone who would use them.
Ok. Thankyou!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts