819th Red Horse

Discussion in 'VMBB Find Your Nam Friends' started by Igyz, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Igyz

Igyz New Member

anyone with the 819th Red Horse, stationed at Phu Cat then later re-located to Tuy Hoa in 1969-70

2. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

IJYZ...Sir....I researched the titled unit on Goggle for when I had posted your inquiry on the Seabee site, I wasn't sure of questions that would be asked...This was what I had frd'd/posted along with yours...Chief
    Vietnam[edit]
    The 819th RED HORSE squadron was stationed at Phu Cat AB and was responsible for building facilities in the former Viet Cong training area. The 819th unit was the only unit at the base to operate and maintain heavy equipment. The men from the squadron were responsible for the installment of T-17 membrane and AM 2 matting along with all the earth moving required to build revetments. To build all the buildings and roads for the base, the 819th had to move over 1,000,000 cubic yards (760,000 m3) of earth. The operation and base construction went very smoothly because the 819th made sure that all equipment was operating properly along with preemptive maintenance. Daily maintenance was required for all machinery. This upkeep made it possible to complete the mission quickly and effectively. One of the largest challenges for the Logistics section was the acquisition of materials and food because the base was at the end of the supply line. In a single year, the 819th Civil Engineering Squadron was incredibly productive: "They had moved 1.659 million cubic yards of earth, poured 15,500 cubic yards of concrete, and constructed buildings totaling 633,000 square feet. In addition, they had placed 2.1 million square feet of AM-2 matting, finished over 50,000 linear feet of utility lines, fences and storm drainage facilities, erected more than 5,000 linear feet of aircraft revetments and completed more than 5 miles of road".[2]

3. Igyz

Igyz New Member

That's my squadron, we trained at Hurlburt Field 3 before deploying as unit in 2 C141's, with a stop over at Anchorage AK. Our initial deployment was Phu Cat then we deployed, our entire unit, to Tuy Hoa to assist another Red Horse Squadron build aircraft revetments, I believe it was the 554. thank you for the additional research because I never knew our accomplishments. I do know, if it is still there, that on our last revetment, we placed a "Texaco" flying Red Horse embedded in the concrete, don't know how we got it but GI's can get anything when they want to. Thanks again.
    Igy

4. rooter

Good Morning from Arizona, IGYZ.. You know, I've come away not really knowing if the 819th REDHORSE is a military organization and if so, which? I'm thinking of the civilian construction conglomerate KNUTNUSON that I remember from the Da Nang area when I was there in 69. I also recall when stationed in North Africa (Morocco) in the mid-50's there was a similar concern, STEERS-GROVES that was definitely civilian. I'm sure this could be considered one of those proverbial 'stupid questions', but........! CHIEF

5. Igyz

Igyz New Member

Good morning rooter,
    The 819th Red Horse squadron is indeed a military outfit, there are some Red
    Horse squadrons still active today. I know you will not feel it is necessary, but I can show you copies of my orders assigning me to this squadron as well as my orders sending me to Vietnam. The squadron was a self sustaining unit capable of deploying to any location in the world under "bare base" conditions and setting up an operational base. We consisted of nearly every AFSC, we had our own cooks, motor pool, couriers, (mail), doctors, medics, civil engineering all of it, our strength was 400 men. BTW, I have always been told there are no stupid questions, and your remains on that list. I hope this helps
    Thank you
    Igy

6. rooter

Sounds very much like the Naval Mobile Construction Battalions from years ago and still today...I posted on here just yesterday the NMCB133 was in Liberia building facilities for that .....what can I call it.. a circle-jerk??? Both tours in Vietnam I served with NMCB#5 . My entire first navy enlistment I spent in the Philippines building Cubi Point Naval Air Station. Chief