The Firearms Forum banner

825 Yard .45 Cal, OLD School Sidelock Muzzleloader Open/Peep Sights

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  sharps4590 
#1 ·
Hammering my 20X20 inch AR500 Gong at 825 Yards With 1 of my Old Sidelock Muzzleloaders that i put together. 3 Shots just under MOA with Open/Peep Sights. Bullets are from my Buffalo Arms Paper Patch Elliptical Mold JIM443-530E

My Gear: Thompson Center Renegade Stock, Lee Shaver Long Range Soule (Super Grade) Tang Peep sight. 32" Green Mountain Barrel, 1:18 Twist .45 Cal, With Lee Shaver adjustable Windage front sight, and Shaver's BPCR Inserts.

See less See more
1 5
#2 · (Edited)
Well done Idaho!! That kind of stuff just puts a grin on your face. What was your powder and charge or, did I miss it?

I've done a lot of that with my Sharps rifles and have always wanted to play with a Gibbs at distance. My #1 sporter in 40-70SS will hold MOA out to 600 and I'm certain it will farther out. That;s just as far as I've got to shoot it.

Think I'll throw in a "Welcome!" as well!

#4 ·
Well done Idaho!! That kind of stuff just puts a grin on your face. What was your powder and charge or, did I miss it?

I've done a lot of that with my Sharps rifles and have always wanted to play with a Gibbs at distance. My #1 sporter in 40-70SS will hold MOA out to 600 and I'm certain it will farther out. That;s just as far as I've got to shoot it.

Think I'll throw in a "Welcome!" as well!
Thank you for the Kind Words! I shoot Swiss 2F Pretty much exclusively in all of my Muzzleloaders

#5 ·
Interesting.
We have had a number of people through the years that come here to promote their YouTube channel.
LOL! You betcha (y) My Youtube channel is not even "Monetized" I don't make ANYTHING from my Channel. I joined because i seen a Blackpowder section, I live & Breathe Muzzleloaders, They are a deep Passion of mine. If you feel I've done something wrong? By all means Delete the Thread, and my Acct

#7 · (Edited)
Nice shooting.

I was wondering about the twist. 1:18 is pretty fast for BP isn’t it?

But those bullets are pretty long.

What alloy do you use, and how do you keep from deforming the tips when you load them?

My problem would be SEEING the gong at 827...😎

#11 ·
I was wondering about the twist. 1:18 is pretty fast for BP isn't it?
It's too fast for a patched round ball but not for a 530 grain bullet. It's basically like a .45-90 without a brass casing. Also if your loading rod tip is machined to match the bullet's nose it won't deform the bullet.

#8 ·
Very nice shooting. Well done.

#10 ·
Polish, no sir, 1-18 is correct for bullets over about 530 grs. in 45 cal. over BP and his are 530 grs. by the mold #. With 550 gr. bullets 1-18 is just about mandatory if one expects decent results.

#13 ·
Depends on what the rifle tells you it likes. Some like a little harder alloy but I've never heard or read of anyone using anything harder than 30/1 and that's rare. 40/1 is more common and straight lead is the dominant alloy in the sport.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.