The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an older 870 and I would love any information on the thing. The gun is beautiful and shoulder well, I just wish I knew more about it. I have been scoring the internet and have leaned some but Remington”s serial process can be a little confusing. Also I believe I can shoot steel through the barrel as it’s only a mod choke. Does anyone shoot steel through their older wingmasters? Thanks!

·
Registered
18,390 Posts
With all the information you gave, all I can tell you is it's a Remington. Probably.

Now I don't hunt duck, so I don't worry about steel. But if I was wanting to shoot steel through one of my guns, I would call Remington and say, "Hey, I got a 870 serial number 1 2 3 4. Is it safe to shoot steel through it, or do I need to buy a new barrel?"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just picked up an older 870 and I would love any information on the thing. The gun is beautiful and shoulder well, I just wish I knew more about it. I have been scoring the internet and have leaned some but Remington”s serial process can be a little confusing. Also I believe I can shoot steel through the barrel as it’s only a mod choke. Does anyone shoot steel through their older wingmasters? Thanks!
Microphone Wood Cylinder Audio equipment Gas

Grille Automotive design Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

·
Super Moderator
10,049 Posts
You'll be okay with Bismuth, or Heavy Shot in a Wingmaster fixed choke. Your Modified Lead choke will be a Full choke shooting those. You could probably get by with Steel, but I wouldn't chance it. Remington is rarely correct on serial number dates, especially on pre-1977 guns. If it's the original barrel, there's a Remington date code located on the left side rear, right next to the receiver.
Hastings, Remington, and few others all make screw in choke steel shot barrels for them too.

·
Registered
18,390 Posts
Your gun is serial number 640,000. My gun is serial number 910,000. My gun was made in 1982, or at least it was bought new in 1982.

This tells me that your gun was made long before they started making barrels safe for steel shot.

If I wanted to shoot steel with your gun, I would buy a new barrel.

·
Super Moderator
31,843 Posts
I do like the idea of using the original barrel but I also prefer a shorter barrel. Is it possible to have a gun smith cut it down to 26 inches and tighten it back to a modified? I just don’t want a cylinder bore.
Could it be? Maybe. Should you? Nah. Just buy a new new barrel. Quick and easy to change out.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The Remington Cultist revere the fixed choke barrels. I would never cut a good one. Plenty of used screw in choke barrels on used market for 870s. I bought one in 1966 and after I got it never liked it much. It stayed in case and looked new. Just sold recently for $600 and I should have probably held out for more.

·
Super Moderator
10,049 Posts
the O F is July 1959 The Q is 1978. If it was sent in for repair in 1978 there should also be a 3 on it for service section repair.
It's an odd one, the "O" is a different font. There's no inspector/assembly number after the code either.
When they go in for repair, they come back with with a bunch of other stamps to the left of the date code. They even have a stamp that marks the gun as non-repairable, and send it back to the owner.. I've seen two of those, still being used, and I couldn't find anything wrong with them. Some times I wonder if the guy doing the stamps, didn't get the memo that day.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
It's an odd one, the "O" is a different font. There's no inspector/assembly number after the code either.
When they go in for repair, they come back with with a bunch of other stamps to the left of the date code. They even have a stamp that marks the gun as non-repairable, and send it back to the owner.. I've seen two of those, still being used, and I couldn't find anything wrong with them. Some times I wonder if the guy doing the stamps, didn't get the memo that day.
I’ve seen them come back with two complete date stamps and the other codes 2 thru 5 also. I agree it’s definitely an odd one.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You can buy a spare barrel for like $200 on line and have it in a couple days.

I wouldn't ruine a nice barrel like that one by choping it up.

if you checked around a bit I'm sure lots of people out there would swap a threaded barrel to include the choke tubes for a clean fixed choke barrel like that one.

if yours is a mod choke it is likely a 28" barrel.

·
Registered
Interested in Thompson Center percussion, Encore, Contender and Remington 870s
9 Posts
I have it's twin in 16 gauge, they were made when Remington took pride in their product. I too would like to switch barrels to use choke tubes. But finding them is a bit harder than said.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts