The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
admitted Remington fan and owner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passed to me by my Dad- 1960 something- most successful in my cache- blew up the original field barrel when I was too young to know a misfire is a problem to be checked out before another shot!!!! This season I decided to bring it out for a few shots- same accurate shot gun- decided to have it looked at for a rehab. Not too pricy and completed- looks better than I remember it back the- Super cleaning and reblue. My question for input is finding a similar era field barrel- could be a 1950's gun. 12 ga. 2 3/4 shot. I see many with the raised ribbed barrel this one had a grooved top to the barrel, bead sight only?

Curious

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also have a Wingmaster, like a few hundred thousand others. I will follow this to see how it progresses.
I would like to know if a fella can purchase a barrel with screw in chokes for a 870 and a 1100 , both Magnums,

·
Premium Member
10,970 Posts
I don’t think it’s going very far. The OP hasn’t been here for two months. To answer your question, an educated guess I’d say that the appropriate new barrels will fit on old Remington receivers however let’s wait for a pro to chime in. I do know that new barrels will fit on old Browning A5’s.

·
Premium Member
20,015 Posts
Also have a Wingmaster, like a few hundred thousand others. I will follow this to see how it progresses.
I would like to know if a fella can purchase a barrel with screw in chokes for a 870 and a 1100 , both Magnums,
Yep you can. I have one for both my 870 and 1100 that originally came with 30" full fixed choke barrels. Now as far as your magnum 1100 receiver you can buy a either a magnum barrel or a standard barrel, and it should cycle. Mine does. But if you had a standard receiver(which as you posted you don't) i'm not sure a standard receiver will work with a magnum barrel.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Yep you can. I have one for both my 870 and 1100 that originally came with 30" full fixed choke barrels. Now as far as your magnum 1100 receiver you can buy a either a magnum barrel or a standard barrel, and it should cycle. Mine does. But if you had a standard receiver(which as you posted you don't) i'm not sure a standard receiver will work with a magnum barrel.
Joe, lets see if I can remember all this. An 1100 Standard receiver with a Magnum barrel won't cycle, or short cycles with 2.75" low base loads. The 3" barrels have one gas port, the 2.75" has two. Some drill the hole bigger, and it works fine. Then someone shoots a 3" high base, and hammers the inside to pieces.
The 870 Wingmaster barrels all interchange withing gauge, except for the Special Field. 3"bbl on a 2.75" receiver may not eject right, can't recall if it's the ejection port size, the ejector, or both.

·
Premium Member
20,015 Posts
Joe, lets see if I can remember all this. An 1100 Standard receiver with a Magnum barrel won't cycle, or short cycles with 2.75" low base loads. The 3" barrels have one gas port, the 2.75" has two. Some drill the hole bigger, and it works fine. Then someone shoots a 3" high base, and hammers the inside to pieces.
The 870 Wingmaster barrels all interchange withing gauge, except for the Special Field. 3"bbl on a 2.75" receiver may not eject right, can't recall if it's the ejection port size, the ejector, or both.
A standard receiver with a magnum barrel and shooting low base loads 2.75 won't cycle as far as i know, because of the 1 gas port, so yes that is correct. Yes some drill a bigger hole and some also drill a second hole and thread it. They then can use a cap screw that they can remove if they want. I think the main difference between the internals of the magnum and standard receiver is the action bar sleeve. So 3" barrels on a standard receiver shooting 3" magnum shells will cause damage to the bolt buffer. I think both ejecting ports are the same length on the 1100's standard and magnums. I also think all 870 ejection ports are the same size on all models, but could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Outstanding ! I never knew there was a difference in Standard barrels and Magnum barrels. Guess I forgot that nothing is simple. So, to clarify for these old brain cells, I CAN purchase Barrels for both the 870 and 1100 Magnums WITH adjustable chokes ?
Also, would have any ideas to simplify my search for such barrels ? While I have your experience at hand, my 870 Magnum, (Yes it is stamped "Magnum" on the receiver) has NEVER ejected 3" empties consistently. Have tried several brands of ammo. I have owned this 870 for decades and we have had many good times in the field. Your opinion ?
Thank You for your time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Outstanding ! I never knew there was a difference in Standard barrels and Magnum barrels. Guess I forgot that nothing is simple. So, to clarify for these old brain cells, I CAN purchase Barrels for both the 870 and 1100 Magnums WITH adjustable chokes ?
Also, would have any ideas to simplify my search for such barrels ? While I have your experience at hand, my 870 Magnum, (Yes it is stamped "Magnum" on the receiver) has NEVER ejected 3" empties consistently. Have tried several brands of ammo. I have owned this 870 for decades and we have had many good times in the field. Your opinion ?
Thank You for your time.
P.S. I meant to say INTERCHANGEABLE chokes.

·
Premium Member
20,015 Posts
Rikoshay, for your 1100 depending on what you are going to use it for will help you make your decision on if you will need a 3" mag barrel or 2 3/4 standard barrel. if you are going to just shoot small game or trap/skeet get the 2 3/4 2 gas port barrel. If you are going to use it for waterfowl or turkey get the 3" 1 gas port magnum barrel. They usually will come with 3 choke tubes. As far as your 870 not ejecting your mag cases it might have something to do with your ejector. Which is located on the inside of your receiver across from your ejection port. It is just a little bent spring looking thing. But hard to know why it's only not ejecting 3" mag cases but ejects regular cases.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
The extractor can help with ejection on an 870 I recommend a non mom machined extractor
I know that's a typo, but it made me laugh, if my Mom was making extractors, I think I'd pass on it.:)
MIM extractors aren't as bad as the rap they got, most of that came from the Express models and the poor quality control on the chamber end of the barrels. Barrels that won't let a fired case extract, are going to damage an extractor no matter what it's made of. A machined steel extractor is added insurance against failure, when you need it most.
On Rem 870/1100 extractors, there's always room for improvement, and it's fairly easy to do with some needle files and fine grit paper. Square up the extractor hook with the case rim so it has a full bite on the rim, and radius the tip to match the curve on the base of the hull. Maximize the contact points, maximize the extraction strength.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
If you have a magnum action, get a magnum barrel. If you have a standard 2 3/4" action, get a standard barrel. It ain't complicated.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Forgot another exception to interchange on barrels. 20ga 870/1100 pre 1977, were built on 12ga receivers, called a Standard Frame, later they came out with the 20ga LT, and LW. The three versions have 3 different barrel extensions where they fit in the receiver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts