8x56 surplus

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Mannlicher
    (1/3/03 10:55:11 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the info. I'll check into it.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/3/03 7:11:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm wondering if you're firing that 8X56R in a rifle converted to 7.92X57?

Mannlicher
    (1/7/03 10:27:25 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 8x56R in 8x57 chamber
    You'd probaly have to chamber it with a sledge. The 8x56R Case diameter is considerably larger, not to mention that in 8x57 rimless conversions, the extractor would just crush into the rim on the 8x56R. That .329 bullet in a .323 groove diameter barrel would cause some serious high pressure. If you could manage to shoe horn one in without setting it off, I don't think it would be an experience you'd be likely to repeat!!!

8mmSteyr
    (1/9/03 11:05:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 8x56R in 8x57 chamber
    ...could it still be chambered in 8X50R?
    "Leave the gun,...take the cannoli."

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 7:33:08 pm)
    Bingo...does it have the S on the chamber, if it is a Steyr? The Budapests were marked differently, I think an "H"

But then again I don't think the x56 would chamber in a x50.

It's been about a year since I fired my Steyr, but I remember an old sporterized one I had about 25 years ago that I had to "Rap smartly" to retract the bolt occasionally. In fact I still have the habit of "slapping" the bolt back on this one because of it.

I would almost say you had a bolt issue if you didn't see the flattened primers...actually you still MAY have one...

Is there any miniscule "play" in the bolt head? Does it retract alot harder when you dry fire it with an empty chamber then when you don't? (it SHOULD be a little tougher, as you are cocking it too) MAYBE your bolt head is setting back on firing, and it isn't detectable with the headspace guage...

HMMmmm...

You said it doesn't do it all the time, right?

I was told by a barrel manufacturer back when I was considering rebarreling my 95 that the x56 is right about the .30-40 range of chamber pressure, which is why he advised NOT to go to 7.62x54...he did NOT say the action wouldn't take the pressure, just that you should choose new rounds with similar pressure to the original to be sure, and the x54 had substantially more than the x56.

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

8mmSteyr
    (1/11/03 8:03:17 pm)
    I've owned more than a half dozen of these and I've never seen one marked with an "H", although I've heard of it often. I currently have 3 Budapests that all have an "S" stamp.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the "H". I just find it interesting that I've not come across one.
    "Leave the gun,...take the cannoli."

Mannlicher
    (1/13/03 12:56:29 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 8x56R Pressure
    polishshooter-No, its not an intermittent problem and also, the primers are so flat that I'm not sure where the primer ends and the case head begins. If it weren't for the little dimple in them you'd swear there was no primer pocket at all.

8mmSteyr-Off the top of my head, I'm not sure of the overall case dimensions of the 8x50R but my hunch tells me if you were to try to chamber an 8x50R in and 8x56R chamber, you'd be just about 6mm away from being able to close the bolt.

Mannlicher
    (1/13/03 1:03:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del "H" designation
    Oh, and BTW, 8mmSteyr, my barrel is an S stamp carbine. I'm with you, I haven't seen any of the "H" stamps either. Thanks for the input guys.

Clay
    (1/29/03 4:58:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 8x50r
    same prob with my M95 Buda. Just ordered 8x50r from OWS $40 for 20....I'll let you know. Got about 200 8x56 left...

Page 1 2