8x60 german mauser sporter

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by goldy, Apr 21, 2009.

1. goldy

goldy New Member

This gun was used by a german sniper who killed two american soldiers standing next to my grandfather in WWII. My grandfather killed the sniper and sent the gun back to the USA. been in storage till last week. This gun is an 8x60 mauser sporter.it was made in koln suhl. The maker is franz kettner. on the side that says koln suhl is all the other markings more than half way down burried under the stock. so all that shows is the top parts of the words and numbers.no idea how to be able to see them clearly without taking the barrel off. to me this gun is mint or close to it. has carl zyse scope. wood is beautiful. all bluing still on barrel. pictures don't do it justice. could i please have a ballpark figure on what this thing might be worth? and should I look into getting any ammo for it? and should I shoot it?
    Thank you for any information. goldy

Attached Files:

2. goldy

goldy New Member

more pictures

Attached Files:

3. goldy

goldy New Member

some more pictures. thank you goldy

Attached Files:

4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You must be referring to a civilian sniper, because no such rifle was ever issued to German military personnel. However, it is a very fine custom hunting rifle.

5. goldy

goldy New Member

It very well could have been a civilian sniper, just telling the story as it was told to me. thank you for your reply. still looking for an approximate value. have not been able to find another one like it anywhere. any replies are greatly appreciated. thanks goldy.

6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

It was actually not all that uncommon for these to be used by military snipers during WWII. I have seen a few of these go for around 700 to 900 in worse shape than the one you have there. If you have the original cap papers to go with this rifle than you are looking at an historical value close to 1400 mabbe a bit higher pending on the buyer. All in all i say 1000 judging by the shape this on is in. Another thing is that these will sometimes sell for higher than book value also and the fact that it was used as a sniper rifle makes it more vlauable to a collector pending the documentation with it. Also one other thing, the scope that is on this piece, what are the numbers or marks on it?

7. goldy

goldy New Member

numbers on scope are nr58678 thats all it has for markings. thanks goldy

8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

There's no reason not to shoot your rifle. 8X60 is a popular European caliber and is still being loaded. However, since I do not own such an animal I had to go to my Cartridges of the world book to get a handle on it. there seems to be too basic types (assuming yours is a standard 8X60 ) rimmed and rimless. You need to find out which you need. A gunsmith can make a chamber cast for only a few dollars. Then google J&G Sales out of Prescott. AZ. They will either have it or can order it. The standard loading is on a par to the 30-06, perhaps a little better. The story behind the gun adds to the family value but nothing else unless there is documentation. I love your grandfather as if he were my own, but more than likely the rifle was just one of the thousands confiscated after the war. There doesn't seem to be any wear or blood marks what some ever on the rifle. A rifle used in combat tents to be banged up just a little.

9. goldy

goldy New Member

thank you for your responses. goldy

10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

goldy. it is one beautiful rife. regardless of it's origin, I thing 1000 to 1500 would be no problem.

11. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Franz Kettner was a well known gunsmith operating in Suhl, around 1891-WWII, there was also an Edward Kettner operating in Cologne (Koln) at the same time. Many speculate they were related.
    Your rifle was built pre 1934 from a GEW 98 action with the typical Kettner quality in detail. It's rare to see one brought back from the war with the scope intact. The claw mounts are custom made to each rifle, loose the scope and mount, and someone has to start from scratch to make another.
    There were a small number of these custom sporting rifles awarded to snipers in the German Army. Those rifles with documentation bring large amounts at the auctions.
    "Capture papers" would be a big plus on the value of your rifle. These are papers signed by your grandfathers C.O. so that he could bring the rifle home. Sadly most GI's just stuffed them in their duffel bags and snuck them home without the paperwork.
    I would guesstimate the value on your rifle as it is, at about $1500-$2000, but it is just a guess. Search the auctions for Oberndorf Mauser Sporter, and check the prices they sold for.
    A chamber cast and a bore slugging are a must! There was at least 6 different 8x60 cartridges with both .318 and .323 bores. You most likely have the more common chambering that I believe is still available commercially, and brass can easily be made from 30/06 brass.

12. goldy

goldy New Member

trap55. thankyou very much for all the information. I don't know about any paperwork. I don't think there is any. I was told my grandfather took the gun apart and sent it back to the USA piece by piece. Then put it back together when he returned home. I'll look into getting ammo for it but I'm not sure If i'm going to shoot it or not. Thanks again goldy

13. vaughans

vaughans New Member

Goldy,
    You need to slug the bore to find the groove dia. .318 I bore or .323 S bore
    the ammo will not have the R designation as this stands for "rimmed" for double rifles or drillings. I have an 8x60S Mauser sporter myself and RWS ammo for both bore sizes, its a nice cartridge, similar to the 30-06. The S bore rifles are more desirable because the ammo is easier to obtain and reloading components more readily available.

vaughans

14. goldy

goldy New Member

vaughans, thankyou for your reply and info. Goldy