The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to buy the advertised one time fired 9mm cases,Or am I buying someone else problems like a used car. How can one be sure if they are truly one time fired

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I buy once fired brass all the time, both rifle and pistol. Just clean and inspect before loading. NO way to tell for sure unless the factory ammo had crimped primers and the crimps remain.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. Who has the best prices on them if I can find them ?
I see your in the land of lakes. I grew up in MPLS.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Pistol brass is not like rifle brass. I have used some of my pistol brass so many times the headstamp is nearly gone. They never grow, never need trimming, and pressures are usually so low they won't crack or split unless you flare the case mouth too much. I wouldn't worry whether it's once fired or 5X fired, it should still be good. You will likely lose the brass in the weeds before it needs to be retired.

There should be a lot of 9mm brass available. I see it pretty regularly for 2-3 cents tops.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
You can't be sure the brass is "once" fired. Today that phrase just means "used". I have been using 9mm (a couple k), .45 ACP (several k), .38 Spec., 357 Magnum, .44 Spec., .5.56/.223 and 30-30 used brass for several years. A good visual inspection is part of my reloading process so if there are any defects I'll spot 'em then...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Once fired brass just means used. In 9mm or for most pistol brass you can reload them till they crack. Have used range brass for years and never had problems.

·
Registered
18,030 Posts
I buy once fired brass all the time, both rifle and pistol. Just clean and inspect before loading. NO way to tell for sure unless the factory ammo had crimped primers and the crimps remain.
i agree.. that's about the only true way to know 100% for sure if brass is 1x fired. if it still has the original crimp in the primer pocket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts