91/30 Ex-Dragoon?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

ThePitbullofLove
    (8/2/02 6:30:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 91/30 Ex-Dragoon?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's a pic and link to many pix of the 91/30 my brother picked up this past weekend. It's all matching, but missing it's cleaning rod.
    I know little about the looooong rifles of Uncle Joseph's minions, so any information, comments, etc. is appreciated.

public.fotki.com/ThePitbullofLove/gats-things_that/m9130_ex-dragoon/

Thanks gang!

gwitness
    (8/2/02 8:17:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 91/30 Ex-Dragoon?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nice rifle, and its a Tula too!. I had a 1922 Izhvesk ex-dragoon, still sorry I let that one go.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/2/02 8:30:38 pm)
    The box with a horizontal slash in it is an arsenal rebuild mark. I'll have to look at some reference material to see if I can come up with more info. I do believe the Dragoon had a solid barrel band secured by flat retaining springs as opposed to the earlier infrantry model. Based on the rearsenaling and conversion to 91/30 length, the stock may have changed too.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gwitness
    (8/3/02 12:13:35 pm)
    the cryllic writing and star with 5 small circles around it are the mark of "Premier Tula Arsenals of the RSFSR",{USSR} This particular mark was used only in 1923-24. Ex-Dragoons are M91 Dragoon rifles that were brought up to M91/30 specs mostly by changing the sights. A good reference for the M-N rifles is Terence Lapins "the Mosin-Nagant Rifle".

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/3/02 11:25:21 pm)
    I have two 91/30s that are dated 1920, and 1929, and three that are 1931, 1941, 1943.

All are definitely 91/30s, EXCEPT that the barrels on the 20 and 29 are about 1/2" longer than the other ones. Everything else is stock 91/30.

They MAY not be "Ex-dragoons," although I like to think mine are too...according to Lapin and other sources they used many different 91 actions to make the first 91/30s, no reason to believe they wouldn't have actually used a 1920 Infantry rifle, and not a more scarce Dragoon or Cossack, at least in my case.

I like to call those two, plus my 1931, "Transitions," the barrel length probably wasn't standardized until adopted in 1930, these I have are probably just early ones, and not necessarily "Ex-Dragoons." I'm thinking it's just like there are 1943 Model 1944s, for example. Plus, although the Soviets did do some strange things, I can't help but think even they wouldn't waste their time converting Dragoons or Cossacks, since they were already so close to the final 91/30 config. Most of the conversions would have used the millions of real 91s laying around, you would think, right?
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"